Bermuda June 08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chffn1975

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Looking to book a trip to bermuda in JUne. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what part of the island or how easy it is to get around and where to find the best diving for a novice diver.

I am planning a vacation to Bermuda in June. I dont read a whole lot about diving in bermuda sodoes anyone have any suggestions on where the best diving for a novice is on the island. Also this being my first trip to include diving it seems that most of the resorts require a resort class. Is this true? I have an SSI certification as laong as I have the card I should not have to spend for that class correct? Also Is it worth buying a dive package when planning the trip or just find a local shop upon arrival?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads merged and moved to Bermuda.

Hi chffn1975,

Having been to Bermuda a number of times, here are some thoughts/suggestions.

Regarding getting around the island:

1) There are no rental cars.
2) There are rental motor scooters/motorcycles-but they do contribute a lot to the accident totals, and I'd suggest staying away from them.(Remember in Bermuda, you drive on the left side of the road.)
3) Taxis can get you there in a reasonable amount of time-at quite a high price.
4) Buses do cover much of the island, and are less expensive, but you travel based on their schedules, and the bus stops are not always conveniently close to the dive shops.
5) Cab drivers and bus drivers have been known to not allow riders with dive gear-especially if it is wet gear.

My suggestion: Based on those 5 items: Dive with an operation that is at, or near the place you are staying, especially if you are bringing your own gear. Unlike in more dive-intense locations, most of the shops, AFAIK, do NOT have vans that can pick you up at your hotel, and get you to the shop. Some of the shops may let you keep your gear at the shop, rather than having to bring it back and forth each day that you dive, but that varies from place to place.

I am familiar with "novice friendly" dive sites in the South/southwest area-several wrecks and reefs that are,for example, a 15 (or less)minute boat ride from the dock (I dive with Dive Bermuda, an operation that has a shop at the beach at the Fairmont Southampton Hotel, and another shop (at least as recently as last July) at the Hamilton Princess hotel.
There are also some good sites coming out of the Hamilton harbor- a longer boat ride, depending on the op you use, but there are a number of shallow (25' or less wrecks and reefs.) These sites are also convenient to shops located near "dockyard".
I would guess that most of the sites visited on a regular basis are novice friendly.

Again, I'd suggest contacting a dive shop near where you will be staying, before you start your trip, and work out the details with the people there.
As I said, I like diving with Dive Bermuda, and woud highly recommend them. Another shop that has a good reputation is Blue Water Divers.

Enjoy your trip,
Mike

It is hell.

As mentioned stay on a property that will have a boat operating from the location. Avoid the south coast since it can get blown out and the boat pulled from the Blue Water Divers location. Things are very spread out. Unless you will be on a scooter plan on taking the bus or spending $20 minimum to make any sort of travel. The bus system is a great way to experieince the island and the people. Getting to make the few dives we did during the week's stay was tedious but the diving was nice enough. If you hit it right it's said to be a wreck divers paradise.

In June conditions should be calmer than our April 06 visit. It's all about logistics.

Pete

You know of any resorts or hotels that have dive shops affiliated with them?

Grotto Bay Hotel has Triangle Diving on location. Its at the east end of the island.

Fairmont Southampton and Fairmont Hamilton Princess both have Dive Bermuda.

Elbow Beach has Blue Water Divers, but that location is shore diving only, no boat.

That's it for dive operations at the hotels.

Blue Water Divers other location in Somerset is a five minute ride from a resort called Pompano. They have a shuttle that will drop you off at the dive shop and pick you up again, so that's also an option that is the next best thing to having a dive shop at the resort.

Scubamax

Don't mean to derail the purpose of your post... I'm heading out there this summer too...
Would it be easier to rent gear instead of bringing it if I'm only going to be there for 3-4 days?

:sharkattack:

Chffn1975- 9 Beaches is a nice resort with a good reputation. Also fairly close to Blue Water Divers (which I also like!)

Bubblemaker7- Personally, I'd rent. Too much hasstle IMHO.

Some good advice from the other posts in the thread too (ie..Scooters=accidents)

Back
Top Bottom