Beqa Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*insert language not permitted on ScubaBoard*

Yikes. That second clip is definitely the one that shows the actual incident in full. Looks like the tourists were looking at the bait and the back rank of shark prodders didn't redirect her in time.

Really hard to tell for sure but seemed to be going after the diver with the neon orange fins and hose, etc?

Video 2 - wow. That was frightening. And full credit to the courage shown by the guide pushing a large tiger shark away with their bare hands.

I've done this dive. A tiger doesn't always turn up but when it does it is the centre of attention. I'm surprised all the divers were looking at the bait box and weren't following the tiger - maybe it had just turned up. 0:45 seems like a key point. The interaction with the guide results in the tiger turning to the shark watching divers who are mostly facing away looking at the feeding station. At 0:52 the protective shields have come over the eyes so at that stage it intends to bite.If you slow it down it then appears to bite the tank of a diver who is facing the other way and seems unaware of what is happening behind them. Strangely I think that because the divers were all facing away saved them from serious injury, such as the loss of a limb. The tank acted as protection.

This BBC documentary gives some more detail of the dive.

Here is from another angle:

Are you sure this is the same incident? The guys pushing the tiger off don't have poles and on my tiny screen, I don't see the tiger put a head in its mouth.

Are you sure this is the same incident? The guys pushing the tiger off don't have poles and on my tiny screen, I don't see the tiger put a head in its mouth.

It's not. It starts off with at least two tiger sharks in front of the divers at the crate. The previous ones, everyone was watching the crate and one bull shark in front of them while a single tiger came in from behind.

In both cases ... *expletive deleted*

May not be the same incident...

dBWJx0D.jpg

rku6FO9.jpg

But definitely head in mouth

Back
Top Bottom