Bent in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll:
You guys are the best. I'm glad I shared my story. I think DCS is more dangerous for divers with enough dives to consider themselves "advanced". If they are like me they start to think they haven't got bent so they won't get bent. These were dives 136 through 140 for me.

I know a few divers who have been bent and 2 of them are very good divers.

DCS is and, IMO, should be treated as any other sports injury because that's what it is.

Like any other sports injury I think it's usually the result of a mistake like if you take a bad step playing soccer and break a leg. Taking a bad step is a mistake.

If you did that you probably wouldn't hesitate to get treatment and you wouldn't be worried about what others thought of it.

IMO, these are the two attitudes that increase the potential danger of DCS...denial (delayed treatment) and the term "underserved hit". It makes it sound like a bad person did it to you for no reason. If you get bent you should knoa a little more about how you need to behave before during or after the dive.

I haven't been bent yet but it might happen and if it does I hope I have the sense to do as I say. LOL

ggunn:
Your assertion is that those that don't pee in their wetsuits lie and say they do? ;^)

LOL Well I was actually talking about the divers who do but lie and say they don't, but I like your style, Gordon!

Ok so by that reasoning, the people who can't pee in their wetsuits lie and say they do, so the "real" divers don't laugh at them and call them weenies!

And don't feel bad Natasha--I know quite a few people who SAY they don't pee in their wetsuits. Your secret is safe with us....:wink:

cxg31s:
Ok so by that reasoning, the people who can't pee in their wetsuits lie and say they do, so the "real" divers don't laugh at them and call them weenies!

What you say makes sense to me, and that should probably give you some cause for concern... ;^)

gj62:
So newbies that read this know, it could also be that his personal physiology simply makes him more susceptible - this *can* happen even if you do everything right...
It probably also has a lot to do with "luck", or the lack thereof. Deco and human physiology aren't exact sciences. There's a huge grey, fuzzy zone where your risks gradually increase.

In more sophisticated language: DCS from recreational dives is a relatively rare, probablistic event. You can't point to any given dive profile (or series of dives) and say "that one will bend you and that one is safe". The best you can do is a relative risk assessment of "that profile/series has more risk than that other one".

It's not surprising that Tim had 4 buddies with essentially the same profiles that didn't get bent. My bet is that Tim could repeat his recent trip 10 times over, doing exactly the same dives, same level of hydration, alcohol, etc, and have no problems at all.

Natasha:
OK this is off the subject (may be a good thing) but I have never been able to pee in the ocean or my wet suit. I have a shy kidney I guess..need a head..
And I'm not lying..
Me too. - you're not alone! Recently I needed the bathroom quite badly and despite encouragement from my dive buddies to "just go", I found to my surprise that I simply couldn't......... I suppose my mom's potty-training as a yougster was just too thorough :D

FreeFloat:
Me too. - you're not alone! Recently I needed the bathroom quite badly and despite encouragement from my dive buddies to "just go", I found to my surprise that I simply couldn't......... I suppose my mom's potty-training as a yougster was just too thorough :D

Funny you should say that, because I blame it on my Mom too. She made me wash my hands everytime too..

Thank YOU! to those who have shared their DCI stories.

Remember that you can do it ALL RIGHT. EVERYTHING!
AND STILL GET BENT!

The only to be sure that you don't get bent is to NEVER dive.

In rec diving DCI is rare but it does happen.

Our problem is, "How do we slay the DENIAL monster?"

We need to fight denial in ourselves and our buddies.
We ALL need to learn to do the 5 minute neuro exam (there is a link here on SB to a video from the chamber at Catalina Iland). It is a good idea to practice the 5 minute neuro exam regularly. Best is to exam your buddy and have your buddy exam you 'before' the first dive of the day. This way you know what is 'normal' for your buddy on that day.

I don't know any divers who say that they are glad they waited to go to the chamber. I know several who wish they had gone sooner.

Here is a cue.
The INSTANT you find yourself saying, "This can't be DCI, can it?" It is time to call DAN. It is also time to start O2.
You are welcome to say your favorite expletive in there but call DAN.
If your buddy looks funny or is acting odd, that is different than normal, they say I am always 'odd', give them the 5 minute neuro. Even if it seems OK, check them again in a hour or sooner if symptoms worsen.

Do
It
Now

Your body, your loved ones, and your friends will thank you.

pipedope:
Thank YOU! to those who have shared their DCI stories.

Remember that you can do it ALL RIGHT. EVERYTHING!
AND STILL GET BENT!

The only to be sure that you don't get bent is to NEVER dive.

In rec diving DCI is rare but it does happen.

Our problem is, "How do we slay the DENIAL monster?"

We need to fight denial in ourselves and our buddies.
We ALL need to learn to do the 5 minute neuro exam (there is a link here on SB to a video from the chamber at Catalina Iland). It is a good idea to practice the 5 minute neuro exam regularly. Best is to exam your buddy and have your buddy exam you 'before' the first dive of the day. This way you know what is 'normal' for your buddy on that day.

I don't know any divers who say that they are glad they waited to go to the chamber. I know several who wish they had gone sooner.

Here is a cue.
The INSTANT you find yourself saying, "This can't be DCI, can it?" It is time to call DAN. It is also time to start O2.
You are welcome to say your favorite expletive in there but call DAN.
If your buddy looks funny or is acting odd, that is different than normal, they say I am always 'odd', give them the 5 minute neuro. Even if it seems OK, check them again in a hour or sooner if symptoms worsen.

Do
It
Now

Your body, your loved ones, and your friends will thank you.

Really, really well said. I posted on Scubaboard and talked to people rather than just saying take me to the doctor. Denial is a mother. I really like all the posts saying we just joined DAN. Makes me feel good about posting the thread.

How can you do everything right and still get bent? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron kind of thing. I don't believe it. Define right? I don't believe in "the undeserved" hit.

It's true that we don't know enough to always predict which dive will bend you and which won't but that isn't the same as doing everything right and getting bent.

Not knowing what's right isn't the same as doing everything right.

Stay away from NDL's you can't trust them
Use nitrox to get a little extra bottom time
Stop deeper
Bring adequate gas on deep dives so you can spend some time shallow afterwards
Do a super slow final ascent from 15 or 20 ft (5 ft/minute or so)
If conditions allow hang out on the surface for a while before climbing out
If you're going to be doing deepish dives you might want to think about something like an advanced nitrox class and breathing some EAN50 on the way up

If you do that and get bent please let me know and I'll print a retraction.

MikeFerrara:
How can you do everything right and still get bent? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron kind of thing. I don't believe it. Define right? I don't believe in "the undeserved" hit.

It's true that we don't know enough to always predict which dive will bend you and which won't but that isn't the same as doing everything right and getting bent.

Not knowing what's right isn't the same as doing everything right.

Stay away from NDL's you can't trust them
Use nitrox to get a little extra bottom time
Stop deeper
Bring adequate gas on deep dives so you can spend some time shallow afterwards
Do a super slow final ascent from 15 or 20 ft (5 ft/minute or so)
If conditions allow hang out on the surface for a while before climbing out
If you're going to be doing deepish dives you might want to think about something like an advanced nitrox class and breathing some EAN50 on the way up

If you do that and get bent please let me know and I'll print a retraction.

Mike,

While I agree with everything you stated, I think that Pipedope and Ted are referring to the dive profile. I think (IMHO) that where Ted went wrong was in the exercize, drinking and the coffee, all before and after diving. Even with the water he was drinking, it was not enough time to completely hydrate the body.

Exercize, alcohol and coffee all will dehydrate you as we know and water alone is not enough to replenish the body, in such a short time. You have also lost electrolytes which help the muscles and tissues to properly absorb the water and nutrients. The stress of diving along with the nitrogen build up and the afore mentioned issues, were just too much.

While I love my wine with dinner, I limit myself to 2 glasses a night and water for the remainder. Never drink coffee on a dive trip. The same goes for carbinated sodas as most contain loads of caffine. And even then drink tons of water.

This will, I believe, keep you out of harms way. It has worked for me so far. But......it's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom