Bent in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anne:
I was thinking the same thing. Tim..just been busy with work?

I'm here. Thanks for asking. Symptoms have totally abated. Back to the gym for the first time this morning. Still weak but every day is better. The pain is 99% gone. Lost some weight (hell of a diet plan). I really wish I could get back in the water. C'est la vie. Looks like Cozumel twice next year. Once with the boys for the annual dive trip and once with my family and two other families. The second trip is with no divers so I think I may take it a little easier. Less diving more face time with the wife and little ones.
Post-bent feelings about diving are mixed. I really want to get back in the water. . .I think to prove that I still can do it and not get hurt. . .but I have lost the drive to dive, dive, dive on vacation. Maybe older, maybe wiser, maybe just. . . I don't know hard to put a name to it.
Anyway I'm still around and thanks for asking.

The drive to dive will hopefully come back. I had some major surgery a bunch of years ago and lost that drive as well for months. I thought I would never be normal again. Once my full strength returned I started coming around now I want to put a second mortgage on my house so I can go on more dive trips. The physical effects the mental. I'm just older and slower. :D Glad you are doing better.

If you can, go swimming.
A pool is Ok but a lake, spring, or ocean with a mask and snorkel is best. The excersize is good for you and the view will keep you reminded why you do (and did) all this stuff in the first place.

Tim, if it makes you feel better, be thankful you got treated, you are completely symptom free, and didn't get what I got.

I got a bent elbow assisting a couple of divers almost two years ago. The hit was "undeserved" (first dive of the day, 100 feet, bottom time about 15 minutes, Nitrox with 50% deco mix) but there were extenuating circumstances: I was hungover, I was dehydrated, the water was cold and I was diving wet, and I had to do a valve shutdown with the arm that got bent. So that fits in with your exercise theory although this connection is by no means agreed upon.

The postdive (2-3 hours) pain/paraesthesia was marginal but in retrospect, unmistakable, and highly coincidental if it weren't DCS. I did not go to the TGH chamber because fresh in my mind was taking a buddy to the chamber a couple of weeks before. It was a holiday and it was a big production to get the TGH chamber up to speed - 3 operators are required.

Isn't that ironic, because I treated a buddy, I didn't want to treat myself. I went home and breathed off the rest of my 50% deco mix. It seemed the pain dissappeared.

This ushered in 1 1/2 ears of hell with my body, from which I have only just recently recovered. I still have pain, very slight, if I push it.

During the time of my pain, I taught 100+ divers at various levels, I did a full instructor crossover course, I did a bronze cross lifesaving course, had left shoulder surgery, and never stopped believeing that my elbow would eventually get healed.

I put on about 25 lbs during this ordeal, lost alot of muscle mass, and, with my first in a lifetime less than bulging biceps, I no longer can swim my pre-accident 40 laps in 20 minutes workout in the pool. It is difficult, but I am getting back in shape with squash, which uses the other arm. Bit by bit, I am managing to get back after 2 1/2 years of difficulty.

So, I have begun teaching again, I have my own dive company now having gone independent, and I am more into diving than ever! But as you say, older and wiser. I believe I learned alot about DCS, the risk factors, dive medicine and dive doctors.

Tim,

Glad to hear you are better. Thanks for the reminder to renew my DAN insurance. I thought about not doing it but you changed my mind. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Until I read your story I was starting to get the "never happen to me" mentality. Thanks for the reality check. I already feel really stupid about even considering not renewing. :lightingz :lightingz

Crispos: Why do men (and I am one of them) feel the tremendous urge to self-medicate?

Tim Ingersoll:
Crispos: Why do men (and I am one of them) feel the tremendous urge to self-medicate?

My husband and in his case a kidney stone thought he could push through the pain take a couple of Advil and it would go away.

Didn't happen. Ended up having it removed in the hospital, you really don't want to know how. IMO he thinks he's the MAN and would be considered weak if he had to go to the doctor.

He has had them two more times and tried the same thing but the last time we were on a dive trip and had to fly back.

Tim Ingersoll:
Doctors are well aware of the fact that they know very little about almost everything. But after years of training, they have realized that no one else knows anything either. So, to get their diploma, they had to demonstrate the they could successfully hide their ignorance, and convince people that a $200 placebo will solve all their problems. :wink:

Seriously, the tendency to want to hide ones ignorance is not limited to just men. It resides in all of us and is usually stronger when we feel that we must project an air of authority.

Chris

DoUDive2:
Doctors are well aware of the fact that they know very little about almost everything. But after years of training, they have realized that no one else knows anything either. So, to get their diploma, they had to demonstrate the they could successfully hide their ignorance, and convince people that a $200 placebo will solve all their problems. :wink:

I have twice been saved from imminently dying by folks who had the training and experience to a) recognize a life-threatening situtation when they saw it, in time, and b) know what to do in that situation to maximize my chances of survival. I am still around to write this because of their efforts, and those guys were doctors. I am in their debt.

Back
Top Bottom