Bent in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As gedunk said, there is no such thing as "too hydrated."

You should take your body weight and cut it in half. That is how many ounces of water minimum you should have a day.

So, if you weigh 200 lbs. you should have 100 ounces of water a day. There are 8 ounces in one cup. So you need 12.5 8 ounce cups of water a day to be properly hydrated..if you only weigh 200 lbs.

Natasha:
..if you only weigh 200 lbs.

LOL Natasha, I like your addendum....

Although I can't say I agree with your formula if applying it to calculating adequate hydration when diving. According to the formula, I only need 8 cups of water a day. While that's generally true in normal circumstances (ie. everyday living), diving isn't exactly a normal circumstance--it's considered an "extreme sport".

I drink a LOT more than 8 cups when I'm diving--try about 8 of those liter bottles a day, sometimes more. I don't think you can calculate how much water you need when diving--the general consensus is to just drink water until you feel like you can't drink any more, then drink more. When your stomach starts sloshing, you're getting closer. :)

Angie

gedunk:
I know most of you know all this and i'm not trying to preach but IMO this thread might have started to unneccessarily scare some newer divers.

The fact remains, if the basic rules are followed, you can safely do multi day, multi dive, diving. Its done hundreds if not thousands of times a week with little occurance of DCS.

I'm glad that Tim and Christi are ok. Thanks for sharing!

Long threads tend to be good threads. The symptoms and the diagnosis were the most interesting discussions for me. My theory of DCS has been slightly modified after reading the yarn from fellow-rover metaldector. Does the latest PADI material discuss the mechanisms and effects timeline for cell-level oxygen deprivation? (Sorry all, I'm must be analretentive.)

Gedunk also makes a good point: though the size of this thead may cause some new divers to think otherwise, DCS is *not* a normal event. Knowing the signs of DCS is sufficient ... experiencing it first hand is not necessary. A diver who drinks lots of water, dives conservative, and thinks safe can expect to dive anywhere in the world for his or her entire life without visiting a chamber.

Chris

Natasha:
cxg31s:
LOL Natasha, I like your addendum....
:) Yeah I did that for the fitness members. :winky:

Oh I forgot to mention..be sure your boat has a head after drinking all that water.

Isn't is called the ocean :D

parrotheaddiver:
Isn't is called the ocean :D

LOL Yeah divers either pee in their wetsuits or lie about it. :wink:

Angie

You guys are the best. I'm glad I shared my story. I think DCS is more dangerous for divers with enough dives to consider themselves "advanced". If they are like me they start to think they haven't got bent so they won't get bent. These were dives 136 through 140 for me.

cxg31s:
LOL Yeah divers either pee in their wetsuits or lie about it. :wink:

Your assertion is that those that don't pee in their wetsuits lie and say they do? ;^)

OK this is off the subject (may be a good thing) but I have never been able to pee in the ocean or my wet suit. I have a shy kidney I guess..need a head..
And I'm not lying..

Tim,

Thanx for sharing your story with us and I wish you speedy full recoveryness. I am going back to Cozumel next month for Memorial Day week and have just purchased DAN insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom