bent bad in Grand cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi to all,
Just a quick update.
I just saw the second DAN recommended doctor. X rays showed no residual lung irritation (from the O2), and he said the "tinglies" and fatigue are normal, given the degree of the hit I took, and could persist for months.

He also scheduled an MRI on my left knee-to see if the discomfort there is DCS related, or from an awkward landing when I jumped off the boat, or just from arthritis (that is ,being old) :11:
He also stressed to me and the importance of getting treatment asap, and to check with a"dive Dr." should you have the slightest unusual symptoms. He said that while I was fortunate to have gotten to the chamber when I did (6 hours after the onset of symptoms), that I would have been better off to get there sooner, and that if I waited significantly longer, the paralysis might have been longer lasting, maybe even permanent.
So please: if you feel weird after a dive-don't wait-get it checked out- learn forom my mistake!!

take care,
Mike

Hey Mike,
Good news on the lungs! Hope the rest of your recovery goes well and you get back to your 'ole self soon!

Chris

Hi again,

Just thought I'd post the latestinfo about my incident-and the ongoing recovery-albeit 5+ weeks since the most recent post in this thread!! (Sorry if this is poor form, but I thought dredging up an old thread would be less confusing than retelling the whole story.)
3 items:
1)the MRI of the knee showed no bends-related problems- just tears/scars/fluid/arthritis-(i.e."old age") but no necrotic (sp?) tissue-what the doc was concerned about. The knee is slowly getting better.

2) As of today-2+ months after the "hit"- I still am fatigued, but getting more energy, still have the tingles/burning in the feet and lower legs- which creeps upward as I get tired. The neurologist I saw last week called it "an insult to the spinal cord"- and gave no definite new prognosis-she said the sensations could last for months (more), years, or be permanent-doesn't that stink.

3) Finally: another endorsement for DAN insurance.
While their medical insurance is a "secondary provider", and as such, they are waiting for info from my primary carrier,(who has already reimbursed me for the hospital costs, but the chamber costs are still "pending"), I received a check (from the DAN insurance) to cover: the extra 3 days we had to stay in GC before the Dr. cleared me to fly; the cost of the 2 new plane tickets home (the original airline's schedule was not a workable option); and the money spent to ship home our gear and luggage-as the Dr. prohibited me from carrying/wheeling anything on the trip home.These costs totalled more than the hospital !
Once again: to all:Be careful, and be insured.

take care,
Mike

Thanks for the update. Hope your health continues to improve.

I hope you'll preach DAN or similar insurance from now on. I worry about those who don't want to spend the $100 a year. :11: If you'd like hang around New2Scuba and Intros, you might go someone a favor?

Godo luck!! :thumb:

miked:
Hi again,

Just thought I'd post the latestinfo about my incident-and the ongoing recovery-albeit 5+ weeks since the most recent post in this thread!! (Sorry if this is poor form, but I thought dredging up an old thread would be less confusing than retelling the whole story.)
3 items:
1)the MRI of the knee showed no bends-related problems- just tears/scars/fluid/arthritis-(i.e."old age") but no necrotic (sp?) tissue-what the doc was concerned about. The knee is slowly getting better.

2) As of today-2+ months after the "hit"- I still am fatigued, but getting more energy, still have the tingles/burning in the feet and lower legs- which creeps upward as I get tired. The neurologist I saw last week called it "an insult to the spinal cord"- and gave no definite new prognosis-she said the sensations could last for months (more), years, or be permanent-doesn't that stink.

3) Finally: another endorsement for DAN insurance.
While their medical insurance is a "secondary provider", and as such, they are waiting for info from my primary carrier,(who has already reimbursed me for the hospital costs, but the chamber costs are still "pending"), I received a check (from the DAN insurance) to cover: the extra 3 days we had to stay in GC before the Dr. cleared me to fly; the cost of the 2 new plane tickets home (the original airline's schedule was not a workable option); and the money spent to ship home our gear and luggage-as the Dr. prohibited me from carrying/wheeling anything on the trip home.These costs totalled more than the hospital !
Once again: to all:Be careful, and be insured.

take care,
Mike

MIKE--- just read this thread--wow,,,,I am happy you are doing ok all considered. I have DAN insurance and now better see why! THANKS for all your post and for your sharing this tragic event...I have learned several things. Best wishs always to you and keep up your great spirit. Alan

I'm not a Dr. but it seems to me that there might be some dives that MikeD might be able to still do, if he chooses. Most of the dives I went on in the Keys were only 25-30 foot to the bottom. Is it even physically possible to get bent at that depth?

I just read this thread and offer my sympathy. No diver wants to experience DCS and an undeserved hit must be very frustrating. You story reminds us all of the benifits of dive insurance.

junko:
I'm not a Dr. but it seems to me that there might be some dives that MikeD might be able to still do, if he chooses. Most of the dives I went on in the Keys were only 25-30 foot to the bottom. Is it even physically possible to get bent at that depth?

As Rick Inman has already said, albiet in a different context, it takes time. Most tables do not list this depth. It would take several hours to reach the NDL; air consumption would be the main limiting factor to the bottom time.

Was any of it bottled or plastic bag treated water? Did you drink much he night before? If you don't mind my questions, I'd like to learn from the answers.[/QUOTE]

What difference does bottled or plastic bag treated water make?? What should you drink?

I'm a new diver and this allworries me a little. This part about conservative/agressive dive computers?? I have an Aeris Atmos AI. You indicate Aeris is aggressive. How come? How to handle? where can I find out more. Thanks.

wp:

I have the Aeris 2--they're considered liberal. If you're worried about it, what you can do is set an alarm to go off a certain amount of time before you hit the NDL, say 5 or 10 minutes, or whatever--and end your dive then--this is what I do. Then, at least in theory, you're making it more conservative.

wpscortland:
I'm a new diver and this allworries me a little. This part about conservative/agressive dive computers?? I have an Aeris Atmos AI. You indicate Aeris is aggressive. How come? How to handle? where can I find out more. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom