Benefit of Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As has already been pointed out, it makes people who have sub-optimal dive profiles (possibly) feel better. For those who spend sufficient time shallow at the end of their dives it does little to nothing.

The group it helps is the group arguing in another thread about how little air (in the tank) can one come up with.

The group it helps is the group arguing in another thread about how little air (in the tank) can one come up with.

Another helping of sweeping generalizations?

I dive min gas on rec dives, don't surface with a near-empty tank and I believe I'm less zombified after a couple of deep-ish dives in cold water if I use nitrox. This datapoint falsifies your hypothesis.

Geezer gas my a$$.

That is generally a source of non breathable gas :wink:

OMG....LOL

OK, lets keep it going. I got nitrox certified about 3 years ago. Once I started using nitrox, my hemorrhoids began flaring up more often. I would like a scientific dissertation on this phenomenon. Thanks.

Um, were talking about the exhaust here.:D
The reg is supposed to go in your mouth, just to clarify procedure.

Bob

The quality of research varies widely (e.g.: should we assume chamber dives are a reliable representative of actual dives? Should the chamber folks be doing exercises to more closely match real divers?).
When the Navy tried to use chamber dives to predict the depth (pressure) at which divers were most likely to encounter problems with oxygen toxicity, they eventually discovered taht you could go about twice as deep in a chamber before toxing as in the water. No one knows why. That experience should give us pause before accepting any chamber-based study on nitrox.

Let's take a look at some description from some research links RJP posted:

One dive? Chamber? Only 11 divers?

2 Dives? And still just 11 people.

I don't know how many times I have pointed that out in the past. The methodology here is terrible. They subjected a handful of people to an experience that shouldn't bother anyone and then compared the results. If you are going to compare things, you have to push the experience beyond that bare minimum, and you need many more subjects to average out personal differences.

Let's say I wanted to see if running with expensive running shoes was less fatiguing than running with heavy boots. If I wanted to emulate the methodology of that research, I would have 11 people slowly jog a couple hundred feet and then ask them how fatigued they were. I would probably conclude that wearing expensive running shoes while running was no less fatiguing than wearing heavy boots.

I don't know how many times I have pointed that out in the past. The methodology here is terrible. They subjected a handful of people to an experience that shouldn't bother anyone and then compared the results. If you are going to compare things, you have to push the experience beyond that bare minimum, and you need many more subjects to average out personal differences.

You have to have a little study to try to [-]sell[/-] justify a bigger one. Publish or perish.

Bob
------------------------------------------
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously" -Dave Barry

Suppose we were to compare two diets. Group A would be eating kale-bean sprout salad, and group B would be eating BigMac. If we asked people to assess whether kale or burger make them feel better, we would probably have a hard time getting a useful answer. Some people, more attuned to their body, might insist that eating kale makes them feel energetic, and clear-minded, and when they tried a burger once, it just made them feel drowsy and bloated. Others might insist that a burger makes them feel pleasantly full and calmer, whereas bean sprouts always left them hungry and unsatisfied, possibly contributing to residual anxiety. Many would be unable to tell the difference beyond the taste, others would insist they sense acutely the harmful effects of homeopathic amounts of some conservative used in the production process or the intense negative feng shui of a rectangular container that their tofu came from. The subjective experience of the kale-bean sprout vs burger diet would be as much mental, as it would be physiological...

A long-term study would demonstrate that one group has more folks who die from heart disease, and the other more folks, who suffer from ailments resulting from unbalanced diet. Then again, one group would be more likely to ride a bike to work every morning, others would spend evenings marinating their livers in front of the TV, while following the next episode of the Kardashians. Generations of nutrition scientists would be scratching their heads, trying to wiggle their way through the maze of conflicting factors while wrangling massive 80-dimensional spreadsheets sparsely populated with unreliable data from a handful of surveys.

FWIW, my wife's brief experience with Nitrox was overwhelmingly negative... she's convinced that Nitrox causes her headaches.

Another helping of sweeping generalizations?

I dive min gas on rec dives, don't surface with a near-empty tank and I believe I'm less zombified after a couple of deep-ish dives in cold water if I use nitrox. This datapoint falsifies your hypothesis.
No, it just means that you are wrong. :) Or that you don't spend time in the shallows when you don't use Nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom