Benchtop Vise Recomendations- split out from Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those clamp-on vises kinda suck. If you don't have a work bench (get one!) you could mount a vise to a piece of wood with countersunk bolts then use quik-clamps or c-clamps to clamp it to the coffee table.

FI9KR85J7AQXVQU.jpg

Like this pic, but I would bolt from the bottom with nuts on top.

Or, get a workmate work bench. A vintage one if you can find it. They're excellent.

Those clamp-on vises kinda suck. If you don't have a work bench (get one!) you could mount a vise to a piece of wood with countersunk bolts then use quik-clamps or c-clamps to clamp it to the coffee table.

View attachment 663347
Like this pic, but I would bolt from the bottom with nuts on top.

Or, get a workmate work bench. A vintage one if you can find it. They're excellent.
I suspected the vise wouldn't work that well. Hence using that workbench from Harbor Freight.

Then there's always the five inch

full.jpg

With aluminium jaws from here

Magnetic Soft Vise Jaw

20210605_152813.jpg

I'm cleaning up this old vise. The wire brush was much larger before I started. Still have some work to do before I paint and mount to my workbench.

Hey it's got special smooth jaws for Counselor Singlers typing fingers if he sabotages my dinner arrangements again

Have you guys checked this place out

Scuba Clinic Tools

For your delicate work...eh, happy?

You guys aren't helping me! :D

For the lurkers getting ready for the next Seminar, you do not need these behemoths, nor a massive workbench on which to bolt them.

Picture a lighter $35 vise, with large, short flat head bolts countersunk into the back of a board scrap just like this:
upload_2021-6-6_15-18-5.png

Lighter than @OTF 's here, but temporarily mounted to whatever work area you choose. Don't forget a rag underneath to protect your kitchen table!

@rsingler

Do I need a rag to protect my $140 workbench from Harbor Freight? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom