Benchtop Vise Recomendations- split out from Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had the Bessy one since 2013 and have used it a lot for non-scuba small item assembly. You won't be able to get much torque on it though.
Is that due to the suction mount?

TBH, a vacuum base won't give you enough "grab" for anything but holding parts. When you need to torque a turret or balance chamber (modest torque, whether you choose to measure it or not), it may hold, depending upon the axis of force relative to the base. When you need to torque your yoke or DIN bolt (20-25 foot-pounds!), there is no way a vacuum base will hold.

The discussions above also touched on clamp vises that mount to a table edge. As you'll read, there were challenges.
It's a key tool for servicing, and so $35 is about minimum cost. This sort of thing:
Amazon.com: IRWIN Tools Record Light Duty Workshop Vise, 4.5-Inch (4935507): Home Improvement

Easy solution: take your cheap vise and permanently bolt it to a 1' x 2' scrap of 3/4" plywood. Then get some padded furniture clamps and temporarily attach that to your work surface.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Medium-and-Large-Trigger-Clamp-4-Pack-DWHT83196/205086878 (but you don't need four of them, lol).
Or regular C-clamps and some shims to protect your table.
I have two vises at home. One came with the house, the other came from my previous house. I'll just use one of those and permanently mount to the workbench in my office. It is the closest thing I'll ever come to a man cave. Hey, the old 55 inch TV is now a monitor, so yeah, I guess it is a man cave.

My tools so far. Plus the 55 inch tv is connected to the next wall to the left. I also have a document camera (basically a webcam on a flexible stand that can be turned any direction) so others can see what I'm doing.

Looking forward to working on my deep 6 regs.

20210602_161718_HDR.jpg

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, it's all anyone needs, as long as you don't blow your eardrum out tuning your second

full.jpg

but mostly you need some of this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom