Benchtop Vise Recomendations- split out from Regulator Service Technician Training - Unrestricted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found with the little vice the clamp jaws didn't clamp parallel, so even when I tightened the first stage handle it would come loose. I’m sure with a larger vise that wouldn’t be a problem, but I find the design of your vice the clamp faces come right together perfectly.

Yep, aside from professional employment, nobody needs that one...

I've been trying to develop a good mounting place for my parrot head vise...
This looks well designed.

upload_2021-5-25_13-15-31.jpeg

I found with the little vice the clamp jaws didn't clamp parallel
I suspect a manufacturer slightly west of California. The price was too good to pass up, until it wasn't. :D
Sorry, couldn't resist picking on one of the more meticulous seminar participants over his unforced error. :wink:

My advice? Permanently bolt your vise to a larger piece of 3/4" plywood. Like 6" to 1 foot larger. Then C-clamp that temporarily to your kitchen table with some felt pads underneath to keep your spouse happy.

^^^ This.^^^ or IMHO a "regulator box" or "holding fixture" is easier to use, less time consuming, and very gentle on a regulator body. See attachment for a store bought version that can be easily copied.

This thread has some informative post:
Weakling needs tips for torque

This thread shows my workbench fixture:
Regulator holding fixture.

Attachments

• Extended Pin Spanner and Wooden Reg Box.pdf
    99.6 KB · Views: 125
^^^ This.^^^ or IMHO a "regulator box" or "holding fixture" is easier to use, less time consuming, and very gentle on a regulator body. See attachment for a store bought version that can be easily copied.

This thread has some informative post:
Weakling needs tips for torque

This thread shows my workbench fixture:
Regulator holding fixture.
You still need some kind of vise for that box don’t you?

No, he has put anchors in something, and the screws attach it to that surface...

You still need some kind of vise for that box don’t you?

One can put the box in a vise or bolt it to the table; which is what I did. I brought this up during the lesson, but you can also just attach the regulator to a secured tank and loosen everything up-except the yoke or DIN fitting. At that point, the floor and a foot (heavy shoe required) become the go-to tools.

We are getting too far away from Rob's thread and distracting from it's purpose. Could a MOD split this subject out in a separate thread please?

Back
Top Bottom