Belize Wind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AngusNJ

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
When i was there a few years ago in May, we had a solid week of wind. Couldn't do much diving, and most dive operators wouldn't go out to the atolls (although one operator would go out to Turneffe, i think it was Aqua Dives . . . a frightening experience). Is wind common in May? I have read on other posts that Jan through March has worst weather. Did i just get unlucky? Planning to go back in May again this year, but want to make sure i'm not picking the wrong month.

We've had quite a bit of wind this January, but only a few days of diving have been lost.

AngusNJ:
When i was there a few years ago in May, we had a solid week of wind. Couldn't do much diving, and most dive operators wouldn't go out to the atolls (although one operator would go out to Turneffe, i think it was Aqua Dives . . . a frightening experience). Is wind common in May? I have read on other posts that Jan through March has worst weather. Did i just get unlucky? Planning to go back in May again this year, but want to make sure i'm not picking the wrong month.

Wind is only a real problem when you choose to ignore it. You were lucky--Divers on this boat probably had their day ruined.

We had quite a bit of wind a couple of Februarys ago, but we didn't miss any dives.

You could book a stay at Turneffe or Glover's. There are some good sized boats that deliver you out there (40 feet with triple 250 outboards. Very seaworthy) and while you're there, even if it's howling trades, you can dive on the lee side. There is no lee side from San Pedro or Caulker. But it sounds like you just had some real bad luck. It's not normal for May to be TOO strong to dive.

How is the first week or so of April for winds on Ambergris Caye?

Namaste:

The winds are moderate to fluctuating and in the diurnal phase of the lunar calendar one can expect a 12% concentartion of Sharkus Whalisci (Whale Sharks).

At happy hour, there is free :popcorn: as well.

Namaste:

Sometimes there's wind. Sometimes there's not much wind. And sometimes there's no wind at all. This may sound like a smart aleck response but I'm just telling you the truth. If anyone tells you it's going to be this or that....good luck on it being right.

Hank49:
Sometimes there's wind. Sometimes there's not much wind. And sometimes there's no wind at all. This may sound like a smart aleck response but I'm just telling you the truth. If anyone tells you it's going to be this or that....good luck on it being right.
Hank49
coming down to Caye Caulker in May how far are you from Caulker?
greg

tarheeldiver:
Hank49
coming down to Caye Caulker in May how far are you from Caulker?
greg

I live about 8 miles north of Dangriga near a little fishing village called Mullins River, on the Mullins River of all places. :D By boat it's about 2 1/2 hours from Caulker depending on the weather.....and the boat. It'd be nice to meet someone from SB. I've only met Roatan Man, in Roatan of all places....I live in the country and don't hang around the resorts at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom