Belize vs. Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamarinda

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy!

Will go diving late Feb for a week, leaving from Boston. Have snorkeled both Caye Caulker in Belize and Roatan in Honduras, but in 1995, so I'm sure both places are much more developed now. Esp. Roatan. I have dived now about 6 yrs, mostly Bonaire and a liveaboard in the Red Sea. Hitting the best first, I know... My boyfriend is a newer diver, but did the Red Sea with me, and learned in Bonaire.

So: any thoughts on which is better: Belize or Honduras? We like low key, 'backpackers' are fine. However, can afford a bit more, just prefer not to: i.e. because we don't have to, we don't want to hassle with broken down boats, unreliable gear, masters who are inexperiences or hung over, and boat drivers who are stoned (like where I certified was).

My recollection is that snorkelling Roatan was stupendous. Right off Sandy Bay's West Bay Beach. I didn't like the larger resorts being built at that time, however. Independent travel is more our style.

Snorkelling Caye Caulker was also great, but the island is so small (which is perfect overall: I love places without cars!) that I wonder if the dive ops are reliable. I'd love to do the blue hole in Belize. Is Ambergris Caye really built up? (note that I think Bonaire is pretty built)

I'd so appreciate any experiences folks have had diving these two spots. Or advice on how to get there, too, since kayak.com only shows flights with 23-hour times!

Cheers,and thanks,

Tamarinda

I think you can find slightly better diving in Belize if you do the long trips to the outlying reefs and divesites and it will be a little cheaper in Roatan. Definately do the homework on your dive op, cause you can sure find the stoned captains and poorly maintained/outfitted boats in Belize.

for the backpacker style I would avoid San Pedro in Belize, it is upscale and I didnt care for it for the same reasons. Try Caulker or one of the small cayes like Tabacco or Placencia.

I appreciated your message. You have two great choices and can't go wrong. From you message, I am not sure what your budget actually is, BUT, I am guessing that you could spend a week on the Atolls if you wanted to. That's what I would do. Head out to Glovers reef in Belize. Laid back, unbelievable diving, solid gear and divemasters, not crowded (you'll probably be the only group you see during the week).

I say this having spent a week on glovers, been married in San Pedro and owning property on Utila. If you only have a week and the means, that what I would would suggest. If you want to talk about San Pedro or Utila, I am happy to give you my thoughts on that as well.

Hope that helps.

Flip a coin? Rock scissors paper? Draw straws? That's how I'd decide. It's too close to call.

Hey, thanks for the input.

I'm leaning towards Belize, b/c I think it's easier to get to (no overnight in San Pedro Sula). Tabacco and Glover's look lovely, but we may save that remoteness for something like a honeymoon, and go for some more people now. And getting all the way down to Dangriga is tougher...leaving from Belize City straight to the island means only 2 stops en route from Boston.

Any recommendations then on dive ops on Caye Caulker? I'd prefer not to stay in a resort, but don't mind using their dive shops if they are better.

Thanks again,
Tamarinda

tamarinda:
Hey, thanks for the input.

Tabacco and Glover's look lovely, now. And getting all the way down to Dangriga is tougher...
Thanks again,
Tamarinda

Getting to Dangriga is just the same as going to Caulker except the plane goes south instead of north. It's about 15 minutes on one of the Cessnas that Tropic and Maya Island fly. STAYING in Dangriga isn't near as nice though.:D

Haven't done offshore dives in Belize (Turneffe, Blue Hole, etc.), but if I compare the reef diving right off Ambergris Caye with that of Roatan, it's Roatan any time. Neither place is big on fishies, but the little stuff as well as gorgonians, sponges and corals rate higher on Roatan, IMHO.

highdesert:
Haven't done offshore dives in Belize (Turneffe, Blue Hole, etc.), but if I compare the reef diving right off Ambergris Caye with that of Roatan, it's Roatan any time. Neither place is big on fishies, but the little stuff as well as gorgonians, sponges and corals rate higher on Roatan, IMHO.

If diving Belize, the outer atolls are much better than the barrier reef off Ambergris or Caulker. You pay the price and its a long boat ride, but if your going for a week it worth at least 2 or 3 trips out.

Hank49:
Flip a coin? Rock scissors paper? Draw straws? That's how I'd decide. It's too close to call.

That's about it. The same reef interconnects the island of Roatan and the Country of Belize.

To the question about snorkeling:

tamarinda:
So: any thoughts on which is better: Belize or Honduras? We like low key, 'backpackers' are fine. However, can afford a bit more, just prefer not to: i.e. because we don't have to, we don't want to hassle with broken down boats, unreliable gear, masters who are inexperiences or hung over, and boat drivers who are stoned (like where I certified was).

And a specific "lifestyle" of accomodations.

I appreciate what you are saying, I certainly understand what you want. When we are in the Indo-Pacific Basin we gravitate towards the same kind of dive-ops that you mention and are afraid of!. Just understand, when you sleep with dogs, you'll wake up with fleas! We have been diving with any number of ops where we knew full well that we were on our own.

Unreliable gear? You should bring your own including a snorkel vest.

Shoddy (dive) masters? The better of them graduate from snorkeling and quite often become SCUBA DM's. Do not assume any standard of care, any level of certification or ability from anyone who is refered to as a "divemaster". Snorkel DM's might be attractive, fun, and communicative young people who can swim well.

If I am snorkeling and my tour guide wanted to smoke pot, I would have no issues. I was the one who selected their snorkel op because it was filled with cool, hip backpackers. I draw the line at a place offering professional services or anything to do with diving, some others may not care even about that. You're all on your own when it comes right down to your personal safety and enjoyment of the trip. I just like being around young European travellers and interacting. My SO and I believe it keeps us young just being in that environment- but we also know that we're just visiting their environment- we have no say over how it operates when we decide to step into their world.

Roatan? Yes, it has gotten more developed since 1995. I know that hundreds of people are dropped into the West end every day for cruise ship snorkeling days, but I also know that CCV resort is booked solid for 1 to 2 weeks by a snorkel naturalist tour- they spend most of their lives happily doing shore dives and attending slide show lectures on what they just saw.

Belize is a country. It is also hundreds of islands, a couple of dozen that support infrastructure for divers/snorkelers. The city of Belize (Belize City) is not a convenient stepping off point for divers or snorkelers on day outings. It suffices when the cruise ships arrive, but whether you can get one of the snorkel tour operators to service you on a non-cruise ship day, burning fuel to take out less than a full load, I can't imagine. It's a long haul to any reef from Belize City.

In Belize, you would do well to make one trip out and find an outlying barrier island (along the same reef structure as is the Bay Islands) that has the character and services you offer. Honestly- I have done the math on this, I know that even from these resort islands the boat ride can be annoying- I now only dive Belize from a liveaboard, the Nekton specifically.

There has to be any number of opportunities on these outlying islands where you could have a very positive "backpacker lifestyle" snorkel experience, but the best of them might have rather marginal boats- I would look at it as "romantic and adventurous", but again- watch out for those fleas- they can be deadly!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom