Belize, port of call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Odivr

Registered
Reaction score
I have a rather "oddball question". We're on a cruise in early March and Belize is the second port of call but have never dived there before. Since our time is limited we can only do a local/shorter dive trip with Sea Sport, of which I have read great reviews. My question is, if having to choose between doing the dive in Belize, or rather using the money for an extra day diving in Bonaire later this year, what would you suggest we do? Appreciate any help and advice!

Last edited:
Are these the only choices you are asking us about? There are a couple land excursions I'd recommend . . .

Rephrased:

Would I rather dive for a day in Belize out of Belize City...
Or would I rather stay & dive an extra day in Bonaire?

Or what are you asking? Are you going on a cruise ship to Bonaire as well?

Overall:
- I like the diving offered in Belize better than Bonaire.
- It is impossible to access what Belize truly offers from Belize City on a Cruise Ship call.
- Belize City offers very little else to do that appeals to me. The Zoo is ugly.
- Belize Port of Call has good organized land tours out far inland and they'll get you back in time.
- Bonaire has numerous non-dive diversions, most you'll need a car or cab if you're there for a week.
- Bonaire has quick access to diving, even from the Town Pier port dock.

The question would have other answers if you defined the parameters of your visit to Bonaire... is it a Cruise or a stay?

Thanks for the feedback Doc! Yeah, we looked at a few "diver posted" pictures (not glossy travel brochures ) from Beilize and the viz generally seems rather mediocre. So we've decided to add an extra day to our Bonaire trip later this year, God willing.

I really can not think of "viz" as being any sort of deciding factor, but if that's the thing, you might want to consider Cayman. They have viz beyond your wildest dreams. Not much to see, but man-oh-man.... you can sure see a lot of it.

H2O, before you decide absolutely, see if you can find out where the divesites are. If I'm not mistaken, Hugh Parkey used to run cruise divers out to Turneffe for the day. Turneffe sites DO offer some of the best Belize dives.

On our last trip to Belize, we took a day off from diving and did a day tour to Lamanai. Very interesting and well worth it.

Probably the big three day trips from BZ City would be Lamanai, cave tubing and the Zoo. The latter two are fairly close to each other out the Western Hwy, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are packaged together. Lamanai's out the Northern Hwy, but then you take a boat trip down the New River--you can wave at John McAffee's old house--so that's a full day up and back.

There's also Altun-Ha. Not as big as Lamanai and no boat ride but still interesting to walk around.

Of course, you could just hang out in BZ City and see what crack cocaine has wrought upon the indigenous people. Seriously though, there are a few things worth checking out there, and as long as you stick to the main streets and can handle sometimes aggressive panhandling you'd be fine. Probably.

Like Doc, I can't imagine viz being a factor in your decision and agree with Chilly that if you get an opportunity to dive the atoll you should take it.

My advice is to quit wasting your money on cruise ships, if you are a diver, and spend a week on the Belize Aggressor III. We had thought about retiring to Belize until we saw Belize City.

My advice is to quit wasting your money on cruise ships, if you are a diver, and spend a week on the Belize Aggressor III. We had thought about retiring to Belize until we saw Belize City.

I almost made the same mistake, but then I travelled the country and saw that it had so much to offer. Had to decide where to retire in Belize (other than the city of course) as there were so many great spots. Narrowed it down to between Cayo and Placencia - settled on Placencia and have never regretted that decision.
Regards
Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom