Belize or Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbrandon

Contributor
Reaction score
Im planning a 7 night / 8 day trip for the middle of this month and cant decide if I should go to Belize or Roatan. Ill be traveling either solo or with a friend. My main interest is diving, followed by food, then nightlife. Quality of accomadations is not a issue. As far as diving is concerened, does one offer much over the other. Also, im only Advanced open water certified, with less that 40 dives, so take that into cosideration also. Which one will I be happier with? Also, does anyone reccomend anywhere in paticular for dive operators or lodging at either place?

Geoff

I've been to Belize and I'd like to go to Roatan, so here's my list of considerations: I stayed at Gaz Cooper's when I was in Belize and the accomodations were great, the diving was wonderful (Andy is a fantastic DM), and it was a lovely relaxed week. The problem with Gaz's is it's on the other end of Ambergris from San Pedro, the only town on the island. It's no problem to take a water taxi down to town, but we mostly didn't.

In Roatan I've looked at Anthony's Key Resort and CoCo View. AK seems to be a little more non-diver friendly so that was a factor for this trip's decision while CCV is supposed to be a pure diving resort.

If you go during the low season (summer) you should be able to get a pretty good deal either place. From talking to some people, the diving is Roatan is supposed to be "almost" as good as Belize but the vacation is cheaper.

Hope this helps a little, I'm sure others will be by to discuss night life more in depth.

Rachel

biscuit7 once bubbled...
If you go during the low season (summer) you should be able to get a pretty good deal either place. From talking to some people, the diving is Roatan is supposed to be "almost" as good as Belize but the vacation is cheaper.

Hope this helps a little, I'm sure others will be by to discuss night life more in depth.

Rachel

Ive been checking prices quite a bit, and Roatan is cheaper, but only by a few hundred a week. The kicker is that I can get airfare from San Francisco to Belize for $380, with 1 layover, versus San francisco to Roatan is $1200 with nonstop, or $670 with 2 layovers. Kind of makes it a hard decision.

My dream trip is a cheap bungalow that sleeps one (since im most likely traveling alone) and a charter dive package for 3 tanks a day, plus a night dive or two. I can live without the inclusive resorts, or the pools, great restraunts, etc. I just want a roof over my head when im out of the water, and a boat over my head when Im under the water.

Geoff

Been to both. I'd pick Belize, no hesitation.

I've never been to Belize but I have been to Roatan several times. The diving is great! It's definately worth a look.

I have been to Belize once and Roatan twice. I would not go back to Belize unless I were staying at one of the atolls. I am not sure where people who would choose San Pedro/Ambergris diving over Roatan dove in Belize, but it wasn't the same place we dove. My experience was that Belize (Ambergris Caye area) was the cheaper of the two and the diving was not anywhere near as good as Roatan. The diving is quite good at the atolls in Belize, probably equal to or a little better than Roatan, but if you stay near San Pedro for the nightlife, you probably won't get to dive the atolls more than once or if lucky twice in the week, and you will pay a big premium for the trip. Also, staying at the atolls is much more expensive. The resorts on the atolls themselves are pretty small and quiet, and probably wouldn't meet the nightlife requirement anyways.

I would go with someplace on Roatan near West End...possible Inn of Last Resort or one of the smaller West End lodging places, and then pick an independent operator for your dives. You can get some amazingly cheap lodging options in West End if you aren't looking for luxury, and West End is probably the best location for restaurants and bars on Roatan. The resorts like Anthony's Key, CocoView, and Fantasy Island have bars, but most of them are closed around 10pm and may or may not be very hopping depending on who is there at the resort that week.

Good Luck and have fun!

AggieDiver

Aggiediver,,, thanks for the info. I booked Roatan, will be staying at FI. I got alot of suggestions to head out to the westend for nightlife, as well as some charters that have great day packages. Thanks again!

Geoff

You won't be disappointed with your decision to go to Roatan and stay at FI. I stayed there in Jan and loved it and am planning a solo trip back later this year. The 3 dives a day will keep you busy during the day and they do offer a boat night dive, plus you can dive from the gazebo out on CocoView wall, Neiman's wall and the Prince Albert. The happy hour every day from 5-6 is great and there are tons of people hanging out for that, plus you can easily meet people at meals by just asking if you can join them at their table, so you won't have a problem meeting up with people to go into town. My DM Marcos doubled as a cab driver so he cut us good deals to go into town--if you just call a cab, they will charge you a fortune, so ask around or those West End visits will add up quick. One group who didn't know got charged $20 apiece just to go to the next town over for dinner! Anyway you're gonna have a great time--let me know if you have any questions! :)

Stayed on Ambergris is late May (Banyan Bay Beach Resort--liked it a great deal). I have over 300 dives (most recently in fabulous Saba) and was very disappointed with the diving around Ambergris. It looked over-fished. Worse, the DMs had the annoying habit of baiting the fish with chum, a clear attempt to appeal to the new/novice divers. That said, the day trip to Lighthouse was awesome!. Fantastic diving and beautiful reefs. The Blue Hole was terrific (we ended up with 35 or so reef sharks buzzing us during our safety stop, which made for some spectacular video), but the dives in and around Half Moon Caye were to doe for. I am definitely heading to Lighthouse to say and dive. No reason to go back to Ambergris for diving when Lighthouse is so close by.

Having been to both Roatan (CoCo View and some small dive operator in west End Village) and Belize (Ambergris, Caye Caulker, and the Atolls including the Blue Hole), here is how I would rate them in terms of diving:

1. the atolls of Belize hands down
2. Roatan
3. (a distant third) the reef around Ambergris

However, the atolls are quite a bit more expensive as a rule. At the time I went, there were a couple of inexpensive live-aboards that were both great. I heard that one of them actually sank, and I'm not sure if the Manta 4 is still around. Dollar value my choice would be Roatan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom