Belize Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How people get along on a liveaboard has everything to do with the people and little or nothing to do with the boat.

How people get along on a liveaboard has everything to do with the people and little or nothing to do with the boat.
Would agree with that - the group on the Mike Ball boat was easy to get along with as have all the groups I have been with on Nekton, and on other shore based resorts as well. Mike Ball was way more international than Nekton, but that was location. Would agree with Robin that the only commonality I have seen re Nekton divers is that they tend tend to simply want to dive and aren't concerned with "fancy".

Would agree with Robin that the only commonality I have seen re Nekton divers is that they tend tend to simply want to dive and aren't concerned with "fancy".

Darnold9999 - I think you've discerned what raviepoo was talking about when he said that Nekton appeals to a "special kind of diver" - and that kind would be the type that just really wants to do a lot of great diving.

On second thought, that description could probably be applied to a lot of SBers, including me.

p.s. - Hope all is well in the great Northwest.

vladimir:
The kind that easily get seasick?

not true at all.

Really? I stand corrected then. I haven't been on the Nekton, but a theme seems to have emerged among the people who have.

DiveMaven:
After being in a storm in Belize and eating dinner while watching the Peter Hughes boat behind us disappear and reappear in the waves (pitching and yawing something awful), we were more than sold on the stability of the SWATH design.

jasoncrawford:
the SWATH design (take it from a guy who throws up on EVERY other boat -- this thing is stable),

trwmodela:
realize since she would not be diving, you would want a more stable vessel for the week.

ECPaul:
I do want to mention that one of my fellow travelers on the Belize trip had dove on another liveaboard (Aggressor?) and commented about how sick he'd been in rough seas, whereas this was never a problem on the Nekton.

robint:
I don't want to be around other dives who are hanging over the rail heaving. Sure the Nekton will rock some in bad weather, but nothing like a monohull boat.

Darnold999:
Love the Nekton boats - I get seasick and have even been close to being sick on the Nekton twice, however if I had a choice in any kind of weather I would choose Nekton - it is a VERY stable platform for diving. The other boats will have me on the edge pretty quickly if I am not careful; on the Nekton boats I don't even think about it unless the weather is really bad.

Scuba Char:
Not the prettiest boat to look at, but if you are at all prone to seasickness--this is the way to go. I was in darn big seas one crossing from San Salvador to Exuma (estimate by the capt. was some 15 footers, maybe bigger) and although some things fell in the kitchen..no harm/no foul. AND, nobody got sick.

Really? I stand corrected then. I haven't been on the Nekton, but a theme seems to have emerged among the people who have.

But that is just one reason to choose Nekton and by no means does it exclude anyone else - nor does it mean those who get seasick don't dive anywhere else.

I have been on many boats and in fact own my own and get seasick on it if I am not careful. Had to call my last dive trip as I was simply not up to gearing up and then diving alone.

Hey ECPaul - things are going well up here - will be in Belize on PH in December and Bahamas on land in January so it looks like I will get a bit of warm water diving in this winter. Trying for a Barkley Sound trip in November as well, great diving if the weather holds. We can get some significant storms up here then so ...

Vladimir - while your keen eye has rooted out evidence that divers (including me) who like Nekton also don't like to get seasick, there are some other important reasons that a diving "platform" like Nekton should appeal to ALL divers, whether they get seasick or not. For example, while the stability of the Nekton design does reduce the likeliness of seasickness in rough seas, it also makes for a boat that is much easier (and safer) to exit and re-enter when diving. I've been diving in enough rough seas to know what it is like to have to deal with the hazards of a heaving dive deck and a swaying dive ladder at the end of a dive, as well as trying to keep my balance when fully geared up on the dive deck before entering the water (let alone having to watch out for others trying to keep their balance). And even after the dive, Nekton's stability means that you won't be chasing your food and drink across the table at dinner, whereas the same can't be said for more traditional dive boat designs in bad weather.

So.....while you've probably sensed that there is a very loyal Nekton contingent here on SB, most of us would likely (and have) venture out on other liveaboard designs. We simply prefer Nekton as our diving platform of choice, and respect the different preferences of others. Hope you'll do the same.

Vladimir So.....while you've probably sensed that there is a very loyal Nekton contingent here on SB, most of us would likely (and have) venture out on other liveaboard designs. We simply prefer Nekton as our diving platform of choice, and respect the different preferences of others. Hope you'll do the same.
Have I said anything to make you think I don't respect your preferences?:confused:

yes, we all recommend the Nekton to people who are concerned about getting seasick but that doesn't mean everyone on the boat is there for that reason - that is all we have been trying to tell you.
in fact, a few years ago I was concerned about it as I had never been on a liveaboard and all the talk about the Nekton convinced me it would be the best one to try. A week at sea without any knowledge of how your tummy will react is a scary thing! But all went well for me and now I have no worries about it. (We have since done some pretty bumpy rides at sea with people hanging over the rails but not ME!!) I still recommend the Nekton to anyone with a seasickness concern - it really is more stable and like others have said, it is much easier to get in and out of the water if seas are choppy. Trying to grab a swinging ladder on a rocking boat is rough, especially when you have large camera gear in one hand! Been there, done that with the bruises to show for it!

robint

I just returned from a week on the Belize Aggressor. It was absolutely FABULOUS! The crew was wonderful; plenty of good food, diving locations great; diving incredible; hot showers on the deck after a dive with hot towels to dry off with.

I was a single diver and found plenty of dive buddies and new friendships.

Back
Top Bottom