Belize in March....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm planning to visit Belize in March for some diving.

Was wondering if you guys can provide me with some info, airport to fly-inn, cheap accommodation (if such a thing exists), dive locations/operators.

Thanks.

The best way to fly to San pedro is thru Tropic Air or Maya Island they both leave from the international airport hourly.
As for dive centers, i was at ramons Village the other day and noticed that have all new gear. Another is Amigos Del Mar. or Chuck and Robbies. All top notch!!
Inexpensive rooms i would look into Pedros inn or the Conch Shell or even Banana Beach( they were recently purchased so i do not know what changes they are going to make). there are so many options for both i would look at Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate they have lots of information about lodging

I would go to Caye Caulker - quick fligh (5-7 minutes on Tropic Air) from Belize City = most anyhwere on the island is cheap to stay - eat out all the time - cheaper than cooking - and dive with Belize Diving Service - they are the best!!!! - Only two dive shops on the island and they are hands down the best one!!!!t

If you are coming around the time of the full moon in March, you can whale shark dive from Placencia. You can get to Placencia by Tropic, Maya Island or bus from Belize City. There is lots of accommodation in Placencia that will fit a range of budgets. There are a number of dive shops in Placencia and I would recommend Splash Dive Shop who can also book accommodation for you and pick you up at the airport.

Thanks for the 411, based on the diverse responses, I guess you can't go wrong...just go :)

I would go to Caye Caulker - quick fligh (5-7 minutes on Tropic Air) from Belize City = most anyhwere on the island is cheap to stay - eat out all the time - cheaper than cooking - and dive with Belize Diving Service - they are the best!!!! - Only two dive shops on the island and they are hands down the best one!!!!t

The diving you will be doing is the same whether on Ambergris or Caulker. There are myriad dive shops on Ambergris from which to choose. You’ll have no trouble finding a good, dependable one. So, with the diving and dive shops being a wash… which island you stay on- Caulker or Ambergris, is a matter of personal taste… which opens up a whole other discussion.
Caulker is more relaxed and laid back. Time moves slowly on both islands, but seems to move even more slowly on Caulker. Ambergris has San Pedro which has more nightlife, more restaurants, more people, and to me… more fun. Either way, can’t go wrong, for sure.

One flies into BZE (Belize City, Philip Goldson Intl. Airport). You need to book a separate ticket on either Tropic Air or Maya Air to Caye Caulker or Ambergris.

As far as accommodations, again, many to choose from, especially on Ambergris. There are many cheap places on either island. For more info about Ambergris, check out ambergriscaye dot com
A wealth of info there.

Hi,

Was wondering if you guys can provide me with some info, airport to fly-inn, cheap accommodation (if such a thing exists), dive locations/operators.

Thanks.

ShakaZulu, Diving in Belize can be as expensive and as affordable as you want it to be. San Pedro is know for its countless diving locations. The rain forest of the sea.
There are a few ways for you to get to the Island from Belize City.

A) You can fly out of the International Airport to San Pedro. Cost for a ticket from the International Airport is US$63.75 per person one way, US$120.75 round trip. Flights depart every hour at :40 past the hour beginning at 7:40am with the last flight departing at 5:40pm. Flight time is 15-20 minutes. This is by far the most convenient, comfortable and scenic way to travel to the island.

B) You can take a taxi from the International Airport to the Municipal Airport. Taxi ride takes about 30 minutes and costs around US$30. Cost for a one way ticket from the Municipal Airport is US$35 per adult, US$67 round trip, US$26 for children ages 2-11, US$50.50 round trip. Flights depart every hour at :30 past the hour beginning at 7:30am with the last flight departing at 5:30pm. Flight time is 15-20 minutes.

C) The most cost effective option is to take a taxi from the International Airport to either the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Terminal or the San Pedro Water Taxi Terminal. The taxi ride is about the same as 2) above. Cost for a one way water taxi ticket is US$10-$12.50 per person. Departure times to San Pedro from Belize City are 8am, 9am, 10:30am, 12pm, 1:30pm, 3pm and 4:30pm (CCWT schedule) and 7:30am, 9am, 10:30am, 12pm, 1:30pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm (SPWT schedule). Boat ride takes about 75 minutes. Please note, the boat ride can be long and bumpy.

Of course, you can combine any of the above options (i.e. come over on a water taxi, return via air).

When you arrive in San Pedro, take any taxi from the air strip or water taxi terminal to Xanadu and we will pay the taxi driver upon your arrival here.

If you would like for me to book your Island flights for you either from the International or the Municipal airport, please forward your international travel itinerary and the names of all passengers traveling and I will be happy to do so.

There are many places to stay on the island. The Conch Shell, Pedro Inn, Changes and Latitudes offer affordable accommodations nearby town. If you would like to stay further south check out Xanadu, Caribbean Villas. In the north, you can check out Coco Beach. My favorite dive operators in town you have Chuck and Robbies, and Ecologic Divers, up north you have Tuff E Nuff and White Sands Dive Shop.

Enjoy your trip to Belize.

hey shaka , check out ecologic divers they are great and can fix you up with anything maybe a kraal or somthing ..lol

Hi,

Thanks.

Just bear in mind that March is typically a windy month which = rough seas and possible cancellations and delays in diving. In contrast visability is usually very good and diving good with exception of rough topside sea conditions.

Ambergris Caye is on the windward side and there is no Lee Diving this is not problem for experienced divers but it can be challenging for beginners or divers only used to diving in conditions such as Bonaire.

Gaz Cooper

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom