Belize dive op & hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceandiv

Reaction score
We are thinking about going to Belize and would like to know which dive op and hotel. Just looking for a clean hotel with shower and a bed. The dive op must be excellent.

oceandiv:
We are thinking about going to Belize and would like to know which dive op and hotel. Just looking for a clean hotel with shower and a bed. The dive op must be excellent.

Aqua Dives is the worst operator I've been out with, and I've been out with several. To see my report, click here: http://www.scubaboard.com/t62140.html

I was fortunate enough to dive one day with Pr Tech, who is one of the best I've ever gone out with. I'm not going back to Ambergris Caye unless I'm booked with them.

You might email them for dive & hotel packages: http://www.protechbelize.com/main.htm

oceandiv:

Just returned from Belize. I had been told that if I was going, to spend the money to stay on one of the outer atolls rather than on the mainland. How right the advise was.

It is a $160 2.5 hour round trip boat excursion from the mainland to get to the eastern side (outer side) of the reef where the wonderful diving is located.

We stayed at Blackbird Caye on Turneffe Island, one of the outer atoll living sites. The cost was $1400 for eight days, seven nights, three boat dives a day, all meals and accomodations. Most boat runs were 5-10 minutes. The diving was unbelievable--an underwater garden of varied corals waving in the water and wildlife galore. There are several other spots too that are located on the outer atolls. (The famous Blue Hole is on Lighthouse Atoll although I don't think there are any accomodations).

We were met at the airport, bused to the dock where our cruiser took us the 1.25 hour ride to the atoll and returned there one week later. The cruiser makes the trip on Saturdays and Wednesdays. They also have 4 day packages.

If it's within your budget and you just want to dive the best(no sight seeing, shopping, going out to dinner), this is a great way to go. Email for any additional info if you like.

My husband and I went to Blackbird as snorkelers in 2002 and had a blast. We saw everything the diver's saw except an octupus (sp?). We got our OWC last October and can't wait to visit Blackbird again... we have a booked a week in November. We have used John Hessburg of U.S. Dive Travel (www.usdivetravel.com) both times. His website is wealth of information and he doesn't try to take advantage of people. Good luck! Louise

Save your money and go someplace else with better diving and food for WAY less money. You could have a 2-3 week WAY BETTER TIME in Bali for what you would pay for a week in Belize.

Townsend:
Save your money and go someplace else with better diving and food for WAY less money. You could have a 2-3 week WAY BETTER TIME in Bali for what you would pay for a week in Belize.

Well, Bali is much more expensive and time-consuming to get to and the diving isn't that great unless you go out to Komodo on a liveaboard. If you do have the time and resources to go on a Bali/Komodo trip, then I also highly recommend it.

But back to Belize.

If you just want to dive, then I, like several of the posters above, would also recommend one of the small atolls rather than Ambergris Caye. If you want to partake of Belize's many wonderful topside attractions -- Mayan ruins, jungle tours (boat and canopy), hiking, wildlife, etc -- then I recommend splitting your time between an atoll and the mainland. Another option would be to base yourself on the Placencia Peninsula, where you can do some of both (diving and land-based activities).

Happy planning!

I just got back from Ambergris Caye 2 weeks ago... I rented a beach house about 4 miles north of town so I cant say much about hotels... However, I dove with a few different ops... the one I would really suggest is Amigos Del Mar... simply put, they were great!!! I did the Blue Hole trip them and I just can't say enough!!! They were very safe and the service was top notch! I am a Padi DM here in So. Cal and I was diving with friends who are newly certified. At the risk of sounding corny, these guys made me proud of my affiliation with Padi. On the ride back from the dives (which is about 2 1/2 hours) they served rum punch and played great music. In addition to three great dives, the ride back was one of our best times and memories of our trip to Belize! p.s. Ambergris Divers were also good...

I highly recommend Amigos del Mar as a dive operator. We stayed at the Mayan Princess, on Ambergris Caye. It's located right on the beach about 100 feet away from Amigos del Mar. It's not fancy, but very nice for a couple ... a little suite with a balcony. We'd breakfast on the balcony and watch them load our gear on the boat ... then walk across the beach and go diving. Prices were very reasonable, and the diving was fantastic.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In August my wife and I spent a week at Victoria House on Ambergris Caye. This is upper end for the island but had food and service worth the price. Just make sure the room you book is the room you get.

We dove with Ambergis Caye Divers and got attached to divemaster Junior. Nothing but +++ to say about their operation.

Our best diving was on the wall off Tuneffe island. I agree with the posters who advise you to stay there if diving is your priority.

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom