Belize City to Caye Caulker - Ferry or Plane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tropicalson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning a trip to Caye Caulker and know that there are options to get from the airport in Belize City to Caye Caulker. The flight is faster but with all of our dive gear I am concerned that it will all get there by the time we want to dive (or get there at all). Although the ferry is slower, bringing our own gear aboard the ferry is a surer bet. Any ideas?

I cant recall the name of the small airline.....however they had no problems with two large 70lbs dive Pelican cases, plus our other luggage. I wish I could recall the name, (maybe tropical air?) however they were also staged out of the Belize airport. They had everything from the little single engine props to the larger deuce turbo props.

We flew down to Dangrega (sp) before being boated out to our remote island. The plane was small enough that when it landed, one wing was actually hanging over the water beyond the runway...

Safe diving,

Ken

i went a couple of years back - took the ferry and it was fine too - no issue about big dive bags. The ferry I took had no cover, so take a hat if it is sunny, and be prepared to get a little wet if rainy....also they tend to cram it quite full of people.

We used Tropic air and they were great we even flew a day trip with them to Guatemala. No problems with bags

I was hoping to get back to my post before it was followed up.........You guys are quick. Lol.

Here is a picture of the plane we used. It got us there with no problems.......and this is the Pelican dive case we used. I had two of these, plus luggage for two, not to mention a 3rd Pelican case for all my photography gear. Added to this was about 10 or so other hot, sweaty, and ready for a shower passengers. Lol

Although Cont. Airlines allowed up to 70lbs of dive gear w/o extra charge at the time....I'm scared to ask what the same would cost now.

Safe diving,

Ken

I went to Caye Caulker from the waterfront in Belize City so the high speed boat was the best option. If you are flying in to the airport, a flight from there may be your best bet.

If you can fly it into the country Tropic or Maya will carry it within. No exceptions.

Please know that the term "Ferry" is more of a description what the vessel does (rather than is) in Belize. It ferries people. It is more a large skiff, crowded with locals and in the direct sun. We did it. We lived. We'd do it again(with lots of sunscreen)

I've done it both ways - air to Ambergris Caye from BC and on another trip we took the ferry from BC to Caye Caulker. We didn't have any problems with either one.

If you are flying into BC, it's would be more convenient to take the plane. I can't remember which one we flew - I think it was Tropic Air.

As others have said, the ferry is not like the typical ferry you think of. The boat we had was covered up front and open in the back. They do pile people on but it's all part of the experience.

We loved Caye Caulker. The best diving we did was out at Turneffe Atoll - it's a full day, 3 tank dive but worth the ride and extra money. Noone was going out to the blue Hole while we were there - not enough people signed up. Of course a trip went out the day we left - it figures. Guess we have to go back.

Have a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom