Belize Central vs. South

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mchiapetto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are planning to dive with Nekton in Belize the first week of January (figure what better way to start the new year than being under water, right).

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Central and South trips in Belize? Is one "better" than the other. Just trying to get an idea of what we can expect.

Also, does anyone have any tips that would help us get the most out of the trip?

Thanks,
Mike

mchiapetto:
We are planning to dive with Nekton in Belize the first week of January (figure what better way to start the new year than being under water, right).

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Central and South trips in Belize? Is one "better" than the other. Just trying to get an idea of what we can expect.

Also, does anyone have any tips that would help us get the most out of the trip?

Thanks,
Mike
I've done the Nekton Belize trip three times now and it's my favorite Caribbean trip so far (though I still have lots to see). Each time I've done the trip the weather wasn't favorable for diving the southern route so we dove the central route.

It's almost all wall diving with the wall starting anywhere between 15 and 40 feet. You can goes as deep as you care to and then finish up your dive on top of the wall. I spend most of my time right along the top of the wall or just under it. This allows you to rack up lots and lots of bottom time.

The reefs are very healthy lots of soft coral and barrel sponges. I don't recall seeing many sharks - just a nurse shark here and there. But I have seen eagle rays, mantas, lots of barracuda, lots of tarpon, and the occasional turtle. The reefs are thick with the smaller stuff: eels, shrimp, anemones, etc.

I can't offer many tips other than just the general live-aboard tips. Pack a lot of swimsuits and t-shirts, your dive gear, and not much else.
Luke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom