Belize Aggressor III April 19-26, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twinkles

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We took our first live-aboard trip last week. I am not one for hyperbole but this was the best trip we have ever taken. My wife agreed. Why was that? I actually had to figure that out. This is what I came up with:

1. Set up your gear one time.
2. Plenty of room between each diver to gear up.
3. Racks and hangers for your wetsuits to dry a bit between dives.
4. Nice full tanks 3100 to 3300 pounds.
5. Everything is ready when you are ready to dive.
6. Fantastic dive sites.
7. Take a nap between dives—in your bed or on a deck chair in the sun.
8. No need to pee in your wet suit. Use the restroom before and after each dive.
9. Shower off and wash the salt out of your hair on the back of the boat after each dive
10. Other people cook your food and have it ready when you want it.

We might have gotten a bit lucky. There were 17 guests (the boat holds a maximum of 18). Everyone was a mature serious diver. There were no partiers, drunks or obnoxious people. It was a genuine eat, sleep and dive trip.

The service and crew on the aggressor was outstanding. Those guys work their tails off. I simply could not believe how good the service was with only one crew person per three guests, but it was great. The best part was that everyone seemed to really enjoy his job.

The captain made a point the first day of saying, if you have a problem or need something tell us, don’t wait till Friday and complain. He meant it. We had two minor problems in our room which we casually mentioned to a crew member before a dive—they were both corrected by the time we got back to the boat.

Ok, the diving. The aggressor’s policy is that the dive deck is open from 8:00 am to noon and then from 2:00 to 6:00. I don’t know if our group was typical or not, but we naturally fell into a much more structured routine. Dive from 8:00 to 9:00, rest from 9:00 to 10:30, dive from 10:30 to 11:30 with the same pattern in the afternoon.

I am not much at categorizing my fish sightings, so I can’t list every fish we saw. But the highlight for us was a gigantic loggerhead turtle. He was just lumbering along the top of the reef as we came up over the wall at the halfway point of one of our dives. He wasn’t at all intimidated as I swam along side. This old guy had to be five feet from nose to tail. His back was covered with moss. An 18 inch cleaner fish of some sort was hovering over his back the whole time we watched him.

Twenty-six dive slots were available. One father/son team did them all. The rest of us got somewhere between 19 and 25 dives over the week. My wife and I did call two dives after about 25 minutes because the currents were a bit strong. Hey, why wear yourself out when you have a captain that will find another spot without such strong currents for your next dive.

I hear people describe the Blue Hole as “been there done that.” I found it exhilarating. And based on the chatter as we got back on the boat, our whole boat was the same. I will go back and do it again someday. And we will definitely be on the Aggressor fleet again.

I couldn't agree more! I have been on BAIII 4 times and never had a bad trip! Here is one of a couple BAIII pages with pictures and video including Blue Hole video on the site:
Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

Even a Toad fish found nowhere else!

600_P8310297_Spotted_Toad_Fish_BAIII_06.jpg

Great report! And I am glad to hear we have another liveaboard addict! Aren't they great???:D I am with you on all the reasons you stated. To me, there is no easier way to dive, and we dive more often because of it. :D

So pictures please! We wanna see all the fun! Actually, me and hubby are planning another liveaboard trip, this time to Belize, most likely on the Nekton as they will be discontinuing that itinerary after 2009 season (moving the boat back to Caymans for fall/winters). We would love to see topside pics! :D

robin:D

We might have gotten a bit lucky. There were 17 guests (the boat holds a maximum of 18). Everyone was a mature serious diver. There were no partiers, drunks or obnoxious people. It was a genuine eat, sleep and dive trip.[/FONT]
This is typical, in my experience.

My wife and I are looking into liveaboards for this October, and Belize Aggressor is on the short list.

Just curious, why is it Belize Aggressor "III"? Is this the 3rd boat they have outfitted there?

Does anyone think that October is too risky, being at the end of hurricane season?

Last edited:
Get Trip Insurance! They have a great storm policy and will discount your next trip the number of days lost! But chances are you will be fine! And yes it is the third Belize boat!

Get Trip Insurance! They have a great storm policy and will discount your next trip the number of days lost! But chances are you will be fine! And yes it is the third Belize boat!

Thanks! I called DAN and they told me all about trip insurance! It looks like a really great policy! There's a lot of exclamation points here! Just kidding :D:D:D

Seriously, thanks for the tip, we'll definitely sign up for trip insurance for our October trip.

I could not agree more, the Belize Aggressor is amazing!! Every aspect of the trip was the best. I will certainly do this trip again and again and again!!

Back
Top Bottom