Belize 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry that you didn't have a good time with Splash and I continue to remain confused as to you not having any idea how many boats they had going out every day.

When I was there, all divers met at the shop/boat dock every morning snd we got on our assigned boats. The boats went out, one after the other. The boats appeared to be in communication with one another. Further, not all boats were allowed on the same site at the same time.

There were no other boats from Splash in the area. Only a single boat left the dock for the "whale shark dive". The government now limits boats to a total of six and each boat has an hour and a half assigned window to get in and out.

I continue to remain confused as to why you won't say when you last dived with Splash and wether you saw anything.

Wish I could put you on my Ignore list but since I can't I will just ignore any of your posts. Fanboys are less than reliable sources of information, in my experience.

We dove with Splash about five years ago. I found them to be a first class operation. The boat rides to the sites were about 45 to 75 minutes which didn't bother me as I love boats and the ocean. Some of the cayes were a bit crowded and some weren't but the hot lunches were always great. I remember seeing eagle rays, turtles and nurse sharks but also a lot of lionfish. Maybe that has affected the smaller fish population. We did one whale shark trip and didn't see any whale sharks, but did see thousands of schooling jacks. That made it a great experience IMHO.

Please understand that what I've written is my opinion only and when it comes to diving I tend to have a very positive point of view.

Kharon, I told you, we saw many whale sharks both at the surface, rising out of the deep and swimming through our group of divers but it was a few years ago.

I'm willing to acknowledge that the whale sharks are more elusive these days. However, I will not acknowledge that you were lied to about the fish finders.

Again, I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your trip but sometimes Mother Nature just doesn't deliver. Any time we go under the sea, if something special happens, she's given us a gift.

Honestly don't see how dropping you off in open ocean randomly and having the DM swim around looking for a school of fish, in the hope that they are spawning, and that there might be a whale shark around qualifies as perfect conditions, and every effort is made.

Moreover, I doubt that the dive operation has anywhere near a 95% success rate. I wonder how many years they see no whale sharks at all. My guess would be most, given the way they go about it.
I have lived and dived, mostly free dive spearfishing, Belize for almost 20 years. The DM “jumping into open sea looking for fish schools” isn’t as out of control or unprofessional as you’re trying to make it sound.
This is exactly what I do at many dive sites because we know there are schools of Lutjanus jocu and cyanopterus (dog and cubera) snappers there.
However, sometimes they aren’t. There are reasons for this. I have dived Gladden and did see a huge school of cuberas but no whale sharks until we had surfaced and were on the boat.
I also know the owners of Splash and they are competent, knowledgeable operators. Nothing in nature is guaranteed.

Scuba School And Family Dive Center Belize work with small groups. Take a look at their TA reviews, they also have great dive packages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom