Being of Sound Mind...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was mentioned: "I am not a Captain".... BINGO!

We run across problems many times with people on our boats who think THEY know it all. Even new employees doubt some of the rules. What may seem senseless to them, we stress those rules are there for reasons. And eventually, they figure it out.

It irks me when people think they could do things better. Then do it! Go out, buy a dive operation and pay the insurance, pay your employees, and try to keep everyone safe. I'd like to see how long you stay in business if you ignore these senseless rules.

New divers, please listen to the Captain and dive masters. But, also, do not depend on them all the time. Remember your training, and get experience by diving more. There are good and bad out there, and you are responsible for yourself.

I'd like to ask one more question to the original poster - did you tip your crew? Just wondering.

Of course the crew was tipped... as I said, they were an excellent crew. I can't speak for the person whose face was smashed due to the use of the tangle line or the person who fell on their face on the deck due to the tag line, but I tipped the crew and tipped them more than the posted "recommended" tip sign suggested... because they changed their ways (did away with the line) and because they took us out when others may not have. These two things were to be commended and compensated. A job well done!

the fallacy here is you assume that because there were problems with the line, the line was a bad idea and at fault. one can not jump to that conclusion. you still had very bad seas that would make it hard to stand on the deck ,which may be why they got in the line in the first place. you said they did not use the line the next day as if they did away with it on your advice. it is entirely possible they did not use it the next day because they did not think it was needed that day. and as for taking "laughing in her face" out of context, you were the very one who said it. i am sure you are a very talented diver and probably a pretty nice person but you you come off as the arrogant diver on this one. tom

I'm having a hard time understanding why this was posted in the new diver's forum ... new divers simply shouldn't be going out in weather like that ... end of story. There are a few things wrong with this one ... to my concern.

About the tag line ... any time you're required to remove your fins prior to boarding the boat, you should be hanging onto something that's attached to the boat. Ever try swimming in scuba gear without your fins on? Good luck ... maybe on a perfectly calm sea you'd go somewhere, eventually ... but in weather you're describing, you're at the mercy of the waves.

When there's no current, the crew should be keeping tension on the line to prevent tangling. If they didn't do that, then the fault wasn't with the decision to use the line, it was with how the line was handled.

Like others have said, fins shouldn't be handed up ... put them on your wrist and keep them with you. If for any reason you become disconnected from ladder or line, you're going to need them. In rough weather (especially) this is always a possibility.

Boat rules are the captain's responsibility ... because he or she is ultimately responsible for the safety of the boat and crew. If you have a disagreement with how something is being done, arguing with the crew isn't the way to resolve it. The OP is a dive professional ... his behavior, as he described it, is inexcusable. For the new divers out there, this isn't the example you want to follow. If you have misgivings about conditions, don't dive. If seas were that rough, there were surely small craft advisories out for that day ... perhaps you should have considered not going. To the new divers out there, the lesson to take away from the story is to always check the weather prior to going out on a boat ... as a diver, the decision to dive ... or even go out on the boat ... is YOUR responsibility. Once on the boat, follow the captain's rules. If you have issues with those rules, discuss them respectfully and ... if you happen to be a dive professional ... professionally. Laughing in the crew's face is unacceptable behavior under any circumstance.

To the OP ... based strictly on your posts here ... please consider the example you're setting for your students. It's not one I would want my students to emulate ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you have a disagreement with how something is being done, arguing with the crew isn't the way to resolve it. The OP is a dive professional ... his behavior, as he described it, is inexcusable. For the new divers out there, this isn't the example you want to follow. If you have misgivings about conditions, don't dive. Laughing in the crew's face is unacceptable behavior under any circumstance.

To the OP ... based strictly on your posts here ... please consider the example you're setting for your students. It's not one I would want my students to emulate ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Just to amplify one of Bob's excellent points: there is ample time after the dive briefing and before entry into the water to question the procedures. If they still seem unsafe to you, the remedy is to abort the dive. What is clearly unacceptable, for neophytes and instructors alike, is to ignore procedure and "laugh in her face."

I agree with the others, The skippers' boat, The skippers' rules, I also think the line was a good idea too. I'm left wondering just how capable the divers were too. Shouldn't this have been posted in the Instructor/DiveMaster forum?

IMHO......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom