Beginners Guide to Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know enough to avoid stirring up silt

I wish I knew as much now - after nearly 1,000 dives - as I did when I had 0-24 dives.

Ok, I knew they had some kind of no glove thing going down there.

Just ask the instructor on the boat ride out what they have planned...

Why not wait until you're about to step off the boat? Or better yet, when you're actually in the water and just about to descend?

There's a recent thread - and a slew of others - wherein the poster expresses dissatisfaction with some or other course that they didn't know "what was planned" before getting all the way through the class.

Anyone who waits until they are "on the boat on the way out" to find out what is planned for a dive - much less a course - runs a pretty high risk of being disappointed in the experience.

Why not wait until you're about to step off the boat? Or better yet, when you're actually in the water and just about to descend?
That would add to the adventure of the wreck adventure dive.

thanks for the info. Devon's post was really informative... im more than happy to stay outside the wreck. thats more in line with my desires for the dive at this point

Just ask the instructor on the boat ride out what they have planned,...

If you need to ask... then you should remove yourself from that instructor.

Here is what instructors are supposed to do for that dive (from the PADI Wreck Specialty Instructor Manual):

General open water considerations
1. Involve students in dive-planning activities. Have students prepare training buoys and reference lines, penetration lines and emergency-decompression breathing equipment as appropriate.
2. Conduct a thorough briefing. The better the briefing, the more smoothly the wreck dive will proceed.
3. Assign logistical duties to staff and review emergency protocols.

Briefing
1. Evaluate the conditions
2. Facilities at the dive site
3. Entry technique and location
4. Exit technique and location
5. Description of the wreck
6. Depth ranges
7. Interesting and helpful facts about the dive site
8. Sequence of training dive — review Wreck Training Dive One tasks
a. Navigate wreck identifying and avoiding potential hazards.
b. Control buoyancy and avoid stirring bottom silt.
c. Return to ascent point
9. Emergency procedures
10. Buddy assignments

C. Predive procedures
1. Prepare personal equipment.
2. Calculate no-decompression limits.
3. Prepare 5 metre/15 foot stop air supply, if appropriate.
4. Don personal diving equipment.
5. Predive safety check

If the dive is run like a general 'fun dive', and feels like a 'fun dive' then you are being ripped off.

...don’t do anything you are not comfortable with since it is not required for you to go inside the wreck.

First and foremost, I will reiterate: On the PADI AOW Wreck Adventure Dive (Wreck Course Dive #1) it is prohibited, by agency/course standards, to enter the wreck. That is very different to 'not required'.

There are three main areas of focus on that dive (performance standards):

1. Swim on the outside of a wreck, maintaining proper buoyancy control,and identifying and avoiding potential hazards, under the direct supervision of a Teaching Status PADI Instructor
2. Navigate on a wreck so that the ascent point can be located without surfacing, with the assistance of the instructor.
3. Maintain neutral buoyancy and body position so that the bottom is avoided.

Any serious wreck instructor would make full use of that teaching opportunity. Most beneficially, it allows them to fine-tune buoyancy, trim and propulsion techniques as an introduction to the skill-set needed for subsequent wreck training. Secondly, it allows them to educate on the layout of the wreck (most benefit occurs when diving an actual shipwreck) and to point-out/demonstrate foreseeable hazards.

My students do a 'swim-around' a shallow wreck (normally the USS Majaba, in Subic Bay), with natural/features navigation - but the main emphasis of that session is upon developing core skills necessary for wreck penetration (horizontal trim, precision buoyancy, situational awareness and non-silting fin kicks). Most find it exceptionally challenging, but very enjoyable.. and does a lot to improve their overall dive skill.

My personal peeve is instructors who run AOW dives like fun dives. To make up for a lack of 'effort' in teaching, they throw out some 'cheap thrills' (that break the standards). There's no excuse for lazy.

There will be no penetration inside the wreck as part of the (PADI) AOW course. If they do, they are grossly violating agency standard; endangering you and setting a very poor example. At best, it is a 'trust me' dive. It's best not to trust people who are happy to breach safety standards.

The C-53 is "penetrated" by brand new OW divers all the time, based on comfort level. It was broken in the middle by Hurricane Wilma a few years ago, which left ragged, sharp edges in the midsection, so be careful. Otherwise the penetration is wide open. A photo on the toilets is a must for first-timers. Don't exceed your comfort level, but I barely consider this a wreck penetration dive.

Back
Top Bottom