Beginners Guide to Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I barely consider this a wreck penetration dive.

I understand where you're coming from. Some wrecks/areas in wreck can be quite benign. That said, it isn't "open water" unless you can look directly up and see the surface at all time. On a training dive, governed by training standards, it would indicate gross negligence to take a student in there.

The real damage done by taking students/unqualified divers into such areas is that it presents a 'green light' for them to undertake subsequent penetrations and fosters a 'I did it before and it was very safe' attitude. People don't just wake up one morning and decide to crawl into a dark engine room... they tend to take little steps... and get positive reinforcement each time, simply because Murphy didn't join them.

Anything that promotes 'scoffing at the recommendations' is a bad thing IMHO. It kills people each year - all of which are avoidable and should never happen.

In 06 or 07 when I was in Coz, the DM's lined up all the newbs and did full penetrations on that wreck. 1 day there was a surge and all the girls and boys in cabana wear with poor skills got scratched and cut up. Coz is a place where things not protocol happen all the time.
Eric

The C53 is a heavily dived wreck. A soot out is not very likely but still possible. I have been on her a few times. Yes, she was broken from Port to Starboard by Wilma. She is rusting badly in areas. Still a cool wreck to cut your teeth on. Last time I was there there was a really big Moral eel hanging out along her keel. Watch your air consumption. Just relax and if you are not comfortable entering a confined space don't!!! Wear gloves it's not a problem on the C53. Just as an FYI, my avatar pic was taken on my first dive on the C53 at the toilets. B.

I understand where you're coming from. Some wrecks/areas in wreck can be quite benign. That said, it isn't "open water" unless you can look directly up and see the surface at all time. On a training dive, governed by training standards, it would indicate gross negligence to take a student in there.

The real damage done by taking students/unqualified divers into such areas is that it presents a 'green light' for them to undertake subsequent penetrations and fosters a 'I did it before and it was very safe' attitude. People don't just wake up one morning and decide to crawl into a dark engine room... they tend to take little steps... and get positive reinforcement each time, simply because Murphy didn't join them.

Anything that promotes 'scoffing at the recommendations' is a bad thing IMHO. It kills people each year - all of which are avoidable and should never happen.

And if you don't understand what DevonDiver is trying to say here, watch this video http://www.publicsafetyedu.com/PSEN_NOD.html which is a clear demonstration of the issue called Normalisation of Deviance. In other words, deviating from what is normal and then accepting that the deviation is ok. Then doing it over and over until you are so far away from what WAS normal that Murphy is just waiting for you.

Back
Top Bottom