beginners equipment help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

insaino86

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone, I hope you are all well.

I have previously only snorkelled on vacation in the swimming pool and occasionally ventured out into the sea.

I am off too Egypt shortly and have decided to purchase some decent snorkel equipment as i have read that this is possible one of the best places to snorkel/scuba dive. I am also travelling to cuba next year and i am hoping this will be the start of a more serious new hobby.

I am really confused on what snorkel set to purchase. I am looking to buy a mask/snorkel initially and obviously add things on as i progress. Can anyone help me with the following items:

1. dry snorkels - I initally decided to get one of these, but have since read a few bad reviews, and am now really confused on what sort of snorkel to get. I liek the idea of being to dive under the surface to get closer to the wildlife etc.

2. Purge Valves - Do these operte whilst under the surafce of the water?

3. Mask sizes is there nay way to figure out what size i need?

first off, egypt is incredible :)
i snorkelled and went free-diving there and you wont be able to get your head out of the water :)
when it comes to snorkels: get something simple, not too fancy (dry snorkels are over-rated: a simple one does the work just fine) and make sure youre comfortable with it.
dealing with the issue of masks: id recommend a silicone mask as it has the most comfortable fit (talking from experience), i have a mask without a purge valve for both scuba and free-diving and its just fine.
i never really heard of mask sizes...
i hope i managed to be of any assistance. have fun :)
p.s: when underwater its is recommended to get the snorkel out of your mouth (once again the voice of bad-experiences).

I've snorkelled off and on for about 50 years, most recently from a sandy beach on the Northumberland coast of North East England. The great thing about snorkelling is that it's such a spontaneous pastime - no need to plan air fills in advance - and your outlay on equipment can be as little or as much as suits you at a given time. It can be enjoyed with the absolute minimum of gear, as the article at
Snorkeling Forum - What is Essential for Snorkelers? Editorial by Joel Simon
by Joe Simon, "What is Essential for Snorkelers?", eloquently testifies.

The only rule about snorkels and masks (and fins if you choose to get them at some stage) is that they fit you and match your expectations in use, not somebody else's. In the case of snorkels, the simpler the better is the order of the day, so choose a basic "J" shaped tube unless you have your mind set on something else. When selecting masks, getting one that won't leak too much, if at all, is your immediate priority. Try placing it on your face without attaching the strap, inhale lightly and check whether the mask remains on your face without support, which will suggest that you've chanced upon a mask that may fit your facial dimensions. The only way you can be sure, however, is to try swimming with the mask with the snorkel attached and the mouthpiece in place.

Be wary when somebody recommends particular makes or models of snorkelling equipment. That usually means that they have found gear that works well for them. That doesn't mean it will work perfectly for you as well or suit your pocket. You may also get advice saying that it's best to buy gear that will equip you for freediving and/or scuba "because you're bound to want to do those activities as well". That may be true in your case, but it's an assumption often made by Scubaboard members who rarely snorkel, and, speaking for myself, I've never wanted to freedive or scuba dive once during five decades of happy snorkelling in the Med, Southern California and now here in the UK. We're all different and that's a good thing.

Good luck with your snorkelling in Egypt and Cuba. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Just make sure you sightsee as much on land as underwater when you visit these two fascinating countries.

There's no definitive answer to the purge valve issue, only opinions. Some swear by this feature, others think it's a pointless piece of overengineering. Here's one article on the subject:
Purge Valve Mask | Snorkeling Blog
In the order of things, fit is the most important criterion of choice when it comes to masks. Focus on that specification first and foremost.

can any1 help me eith the purge valve issue?

I can give that a try.
A purge valve is a silicone flap on the bottom of most snorkels and some masks. In normal operation of your snorkel, part of it will be out of the water and the purge valve will be below your mouth. Any splashes of water will pool in the valve area and a normal exhale will clear it. So yes they do work "under water".

If you mean when you are completely submerged, I would say yes, but it depends on how good your dry snorkel is. With a normal snorkel, using it submerged is useless as more water would come in from the top :) Either way a good strong exhale when you reach the surface will clear your snorkel no matter what you use. Or by blowing through the snorkel as you approach the surface while looking up does the trick also :) but that's hard to explain in text and apparently I can't find that technique in a video on the web :(

However, my suggestion is find a good fitting mask first, and worry about the snorkel later, its very easy to deal with a classic snorkel with a good hard exhale to shoot any water out, it's not as easy, or as fun to deal with a mask that doesn't fit right.

I personally snorkel with a cheapo Costco special (U.S. divers I believe)

thanks guys, i think im gonna go for a mid range mask and snorkel combo and go for a purge valve with splash guard on the snorkel

sounds good, the dry snorkels are alittle overrated, im a fan of semi-dry's personally, but purge valves in the mask to me are just an annoyance. they do clear the water out, but gets in the way of my snorkel when I freedive. Good luck with the new equiptment and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom