Beginner Snorkeling Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewFin

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm finally going to sink some money into my new found sport. I would like to buy a beginner's snorkeling package for my g/f and I. My goal is to get fins, mask, snorkel and bag for around $100-150. I have a preference for adjustable fins, a snorkel that has an air valve on ir (from letting water in) and black and silver in color.

If this a good deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320111793490

So, what would be the best value for my money and where would be the best place to get them?

Any help is appreciated!:D

Thanks guys.

Is the deal I found on eBay any good?

What about specific brands to buy within my budget ($150 for a package)?

A couple hints. For snorkeling you will want a snorkel that sticks high out of the water and has a good flexible bend connecting the mouthpiece. If the connection between the mouthpiece and tube is rigid, every little wave will try to twist the mouthpiece out of your mouth. The open heel fins might be over-kill for snorkeling, but that's personal preference. I like the full foots.

For a mask, be conscious of the glare coming from the skirt and frame. This is more of an issue when snorkeling than diving. When you are lying face down in the water, any light coming in the sides or top of the frame will hit the inside of the glass and reflect back into your eyes. This will make it harder to see into the water, especially in cloudy water like we have in FL. A solid black skirt reduces the glare greatly, but some people feel a little claustrophobic in them.

ebay set seems to be good but those fins may be so hard for snorkelling, those are not snorkelling accessories, those are scuba diving ABC..
You can get much cheaper fins mask snorkel set or 1 by 1.
I've bought two pairs of Tusa FF9(full foot splits) for me and my girlfriend which are much much easier on knees esp. on surface (I use open heels with boots for scuba)
for mask you can get however you like -clear/black skirt- but don't buy a mask before trying; it MUST fit to your and your girlfriends' face (unless fitting it will always flood). For snorkel; a simple J would be OK but you can get a dry snorkel as well, however you feel better..
I wouldn't pay any money for anti-fog, I prefer MY spit on my mask/face, not any other person's nor Jaws' :D
wish these help :wink:

How about this set-up:
Aeris Cuda Dry Snorkel Black

Cressi-Sub "Focus" Two Window Mask Tec/Black

Genesis Response Open Heel Fins Regular Silver

Mares Technomad 100 Mesh Bag

Price is about $150

Also, I'm looking to get a dry bag, just something to attach to me to keep our keys and wallets in.
Which of these two seem to be better:
XS Scuba Dry "E" Pouch, BG615

Armor Dry Bag #88

Oh, and this knife:
Tusa Imprex Knife, Point (FK-210) Shark Silver

Thanks again for all the help everyone. I can see that I'll be on this forum for awhile!!

Don't forget, if you are getting open heels you need to get boots too!! I freedive and use an atomic subframe (black skirt w/ blue trim), omersub zoom snorkel, and cressi gara 3000ld fins with omersub 1.5 neoprene socks. My cressi spacefrog open heels are a little too stiff for freediving and use up too much energy. The open heel/boot setup does have it's advantages when you have to cross oysterbeds or coral rubble to get where you want to go. That being said, I don't have any experience with your gear choices but I have always been happy with cressi products, my old mask was a genesis and it was pretty good, and I really like the new atomic subframe. A lot of this stuff is personal preference so just make sure you like what you buy and preferably try the stuff out (or at least on) before you buy.

You should really purchase your masks from a shop where you can try them on.

Buying a mask through the internet is like buying a pig in a poke.

Fit is crucial in your masks.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom