Beginner divers in O'ahu, Hawaii in late July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, everyone. I'm a beginner diver (PADI certified in April) and my dive buddy (about a year certified) and I will be in O'ahu during the week of July 27, 2015. I have several questions for anyone with knowledge of this area, and I would appreciate any advice you have.

1) Where are some of the best places for shore diving this time of year? We adore shore diving. :D
2) Do you have a preference for dive shops where we can rent tanks?
3) If you were doing one boat dive (remember we are beginners), which dive would you do? Do you have a preference on which shop to book the boat trip with?
4) Are there any places that are especially good for snorkeling on days we can't dive?
5) How many tanks could we feasibly go through during a full day of diving?
6) Will I need a wetsuit? I don't usually have an issue with getting cold.

Thanks for any input!

Any other travel tips are much appreciated!

April

Last edited:
Aloha April......Great questions and it certainly does look like you have a fine trip ahead of you. A few things to think of (I'll respond with your numbering scheme)

1) Shore diving is a day to day adventure. You can check the surf reports or use a site like shorediving.com to assist you. North Shore is generally going to be your best bet (Shark's Cove, 3 Tables etc). I think you get more out of these dives if you do them with a guide. They can help with navigation and can really save you some time and frustration.

2) Renting tanks depends a bit on where you are staying, where you are diving and what time you will have them back in....... Operators in town and on North Shore for this

3) Boat diving opens up a whole bunch of possibilities. I think after doing a few shore dives and demonstrating your skill level the operator would be able to make a recommendation for what would be best for you. Generally the wreck dives are conducted in the early mornings and depths vary from 70 to 110 feet. You may even want to think of knocking out your Advanced Course while you are here. We teach it in 3 days and you would get 6 dives total.

4) Hanauma Bay can be good for snorkeling as well as Shark's Cove on the North Shore....... best advice is to avoid barefoot fins and bring booties with clip back style fins. Lava rock tends to tear up tender feet.

5) If you were really cranking you could get 4 to 5 tanks in a day

6) I always recommend at least a 3mm full wetsuit. Can help with warmth over repetitive dives and protects agains scratches and cuts if you encounter any surge or current

I hope this helps and I hope that some other SB regulars will chime in as well.Mahalo!G

April,

just a plug that we had a great time with Kaimana divers when we were out 2 years ago, even if Gabe won't plug himself. Great outfit and will tailor to your level. No dive attitude at all.

There are some great wrecks to dive in Oahu, but not sure if any are shallow enough if you're a newer diver.

Not sure where you usually dive, but Hawaii is colder than Carribean if that's your reference point. Would probably recommend at least 3mm suit.

Also given the islands location, you don't get the soft corals either. Lots of local sea life to see though.

GC

April, go with Gabe and kaimana divers. Get your AOW with them. You won't regret it!!!

I dive with them when I went there and I will dive with them again.
Great outfit and awesome people. You don't need a lot of dive to do your AOW. They will take care of you and give you the best time doing so.

I wrote a complete review on them. You can check it out if you want

awesome! let us know how it was.

Are you diong the morning or afternoon both dives?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom