Before I get too old... Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving above 30ft in a lot of Thailand is algae-ed to hell for most of the year. Particularly in the Gulf of Thailand.

The deep dives in Samaesarn (Koh Chang, central/eastern Thailand south of Pattaya, Gulf of Thailand) are impressive, but have some rippin currents that go to open ocean. I found Samaesarn fun and exciting, however it’s a pretty dangerous collection of sites so weigh your comfort and experience/skill. Definitely for the adventurous.

To do that, fly into Bangkok and get a taxi van to Pattaya (recommend staying in Jomtien), or stay on Koh Chang.

The main hot spots for diving though are over on the Andeman Sea side (Phuket). I’d fly straight in to Phuket if I was going that route and go to Kano/ Phi Phi Islands)

I love Thailand (not for “those” reasons), it’s one of my favorite countries on earth and I highly recommend visiting in general.

Went there on one of the Thailand trips, interesting place.

Angkor Wat, etc., was a tremendous sight-seeing experience. I'd return in a heartbeat, if I wasn't more about diving. I put it up with Machu Picchu.

Just tossing another “even if you aren’t diving, go visit Thailand” vote in. It’s an absolutely incredible country, one of my favorite places in the world. Not for “those” reasons, but they are there if that’s your thing.

Bangkok is a vivacious city. It’s stunningly alive, and full of ancient history. I recommend getting off of Sukhumvit and going out into the other districts. Rooftop bars are awesome, street markets are as well.

Chiang Mai is kinda the prototypical “white people going to Thailand” city, but I’d recommend a place a couple hours north called Chiang Rai if you’re doing northern Thailand. It’s also noticeably cooler but you’re 10hrs by ground from Bangkok.

In eastern Thailand I’d recommend Chanthaburi, Skaohn Nakhon, or Udon Thani with a local guide.

Phuket is a big tourist city with gorgeous beaches and jungles around it.

And Muay Thai. Highly recommend going to a Muay Thai match (or a dozen).

It’s an amazing place, and the people are some of the friendliest you’ll meet.

Thanks for the engagement, gang.

Sounds like a southeast Asia trip is a good idea, but not Thailand necessarily. Liveaboards are unfortunately off the table with my dive buddy, so we need somewhere "land-based." I will turn my research attention to... Indonesia, I guess? Any specific recommendations for operators/hotels?

Sounds like a southeast Asia trip is a good idea, but not Thailand necessarily. Liveaboards are unfortunately off the table with my dive buddy, so we need somewhere "land-based." I will turn my research attention to... Indonesia, I guess? Any specific recommendations for operators/hotels?

Papua Explorers, Raja Ampat.

I'm 67, and I dove in Thailand as a woman. I dove on Koh Tao and Koh Phanghan. The visibility isn't always great, and you need to find a good shop, but there is cool stuff to see. Calypso Dive on the West side of Koh Tao was great, and I'd go back there. Two shops were mediocre and one was hit or miss. Sail Rock is amazing, and the shop I dove with ( right in town near the Paviman resort) was great. Absolutely you should go as the Thai people are the friendlist people I've ever met.

Living in Toronto, I've done most of my diving in the Caribbean. My last trip was a week in Bonaire, and my buddy and I both loved the freedom over our diving schedule afforded there. We are already planning our return in 2025!

That said, I do want to make my way to Thailand while I'm still in my late 50s and able to manage a trip like that. I've done some preliminary research and it looks like Koa Lanta and Koa Toa are the preferred spots for diving trips. If anyone has some recommendations, I'd be happy to throw Thailand into the mix for our 2025 trip in May and consider making the 17 hour flight.
There is Nothing wrong with diving in Thailand.
Unfortunately May is right at the end of the season in the West coast.
Koh Lanta and Koh Tao is right on the opposite side of the Kingdom.
Someone mentioned Koh Chang but May will be very very wet and many places are closed.
My suggestion:
1. Fly into Bangkok and explore the city for few days.
2. Fly to Krabi and onward to Koh Lanta. Diving there is relative expensive because of the distance of all the sites.
3. If you still has time and inclination then you might consider Koh Lipe, 3hrs on bumpy speed boat. Return to Bangkok via Hat Yai. You will be surprised because the city link with Islam culture.
4. Southern Thailand has heavy Islam influences.
Diving in Koh Lanta is better than Koh Tao which has very limited selection of good sites. I was going to Koh Tao in 10 days time but decide to concentrate on land trip of southern Thailand(Khao Lak, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Yala) and northern Malaysia.
5. Late 50 is pretty young by my standard. You have yrs ahead for adventure.
6. Northern Thailand is to be avoided in May because of slash and burnt practice. Go there after the rainy season in Nov.

Have fun

Well into my 60s and dived Thailand many times, Koh Tao and Ko Lipe. Easy to get round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom