Before I get too old... Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s bordering on to hot in February
oh, that's what you meant. no, I have no complaints about the heat or humidity. my dislike of Thailand rests more in its commodification of everything that is Thai into tourist traps. Koh Tao was too many tourists and pretty ****** diving, all things considered.

I met an expat there who put it pretty succinctly. He said, "the reason Thailand is the called The Land of Smiles is because everyone is smiling while they rip you off." Granted, he did move there...

oh, that's what you meant. no, I have no complaints about the heat or humidity. my dislike of Thailand rests more in its commodification of everything that is Thai into tourist traps. Koh Tao was too many tourists and pretty ****** diving, all things considered.

I met an expat there who put it pretty succinctly. He said, "the reason Thailand is the called The Land of Smiles is because everyone is smiling while they rip you off." Granted, he did move there...
I only travel with Thais there and avoid the tourist stuff as a rule

Jaylus.

@Lorenzoid while the backpacker crowd is the largest contingent, there is a significant amount of middle aged male divers. Its just they decide to travel to Thailand for reasons other than the diving, if you catch my drift.
"Catch ... drift"?

Will a shot of penicillin fix "drift"?

I can never keep up with today's online vernacular.

Way better places to visit than Thailand. Malaysia, Vietnam, S. Korea, Taiwan, RoP, Indonesia... the list is endless and I wouldn't include Thailand in it.

I would include Thailand but not specifically for diving. And for diving, I wouldn't include Vietnam, mainland Malaysia, or S. Korea. I can't speak to Taiwan, in any regard.

I do have a friend who used to dive all over SE Asia but now mostly Thailand. I'm not sure why he's made the choice but his videos are very good, to the point that I'm considering giving up a Bali dive week for a Thai dive week.

Maldives can certainly be some exciting diving, but be prepared for some powerful currents. And on many dives, there's not much in the way of beautiful corals.

Whatever you decide, be prepared to find yourself doing everything in your power, to save up for SE Asia dive trips in your future.

As for me, I haven't been back to the Caribbean for diving in a very long time. I'd much rather spend my time and money on flights and dives to SE Asia. Yes, the length of the flights are painful but easily forgotten once you see the delights and depending upon where you choose to stay, you'll also be experiencing savings on acco, meals and diving.

you can still get a shot of ceftriaxone, they just have to inject it in your groin.

Take it easy in here folks. Wrap it up.

It's almost always nice to have locals in your life, no matter where you travel to help with arrangements and a broader experience.

That said, there's a reason some places are famous or even infamous tourist sites.

I'm adding Cambodia to the list of places to see in SE Asia (not for diving)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom