Before I get too old... Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigDaddyGlad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Living in Toronto, I've done most of my diving in the Caribbean. My last trip was a week in Bonaire, and my buddy and I both loved the freedom over our diving schedule afforded there. We are already planning our return in 2025!

That said, I do want to make my way to Thailand while I'm still in my late 50s and able to manage a trip like that. I've done some preliminary research and it looks like Koa Lanta and Koa Toa are the preferred spots for diving trips. If anyone has some recommendations, I'd be happy to throw Thailand into the mix for our 2025 trip in May and consider making the 17 hour flight.

If you want purely diving then Maldives is way better! Thailand is good for “lifestyle+diving” in the mix. Didn’t visit the land of paradise before your 50s? I feel sorry for you LOL … but it’s never too late … 😜😝 ok I’m kidding … 😆

Edit : If you coming all the way for a “once-in-a-lifetime” trip then please seriously consider Indonesia+Maldives+Thailand+Philipines.

Way better places to visit than Thailand. Malaysia, Vietnam, S. Korea, Taiwan, RoP, Indonesia... the list is endless and I wouldn't include Thailand in it.

I haven't dived in Thailand, but I have dived elsewhere in Southeast Asia (e.g., Indonesia) and intentionally gave Thailand a pass, despite having visited Thailand for non-diving stuff in the past few years. My impression (admittedly not having dived there) is that most divers in Thailand are younger folks who happened to be traveling (e.g., backpacking) around the country and wanted to include scuba diving among the things they did, some of them beginning as non-divers and using their time in the area to take the OW cert course. Experienced divers traveling to SEA from afar don't seem to bother with Thailand--again, just my impression. Sure, there are some liveaboards and such, but I have not heard rave reviews.

@Lorenzoid while the backpacker crowd is the largest contingent, there is a significant amount of middle aged male divers. Its just they decide to travel to Thailand for reasons other than the diving, if you catch my drift.
Ha ha. And to be fair (re-reading my post) I'm sure there are plenty of people who do go to Thailand specifically to dive, or at least to split their time diving and touring on land; it's just that they are apparently not the majority. If one has never visited Thailand and wants to see the sights, then adding in some diving seems reasonable.

I’ve been on 4 trips to Thailand some great diving from live aboard’s cool stuff to see on land, planing a trip for next February (I’ll be 70) I have a friend from there that makes all of the arrangements so I don’t have to get into the where and how.

Going in august may have shaded your opinion.
yeah, maybe i was on the wrong side of the country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom