Been thinkin' a long time.... came to a conclusion tonight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why stop at one month? Why not one year? Or better yet...

As we approach the new "40's," it is certainly time to reassess our lives and decide (1) what really makes us happy and (2) are we willing to make the "compromises" to make that happen? After all, didn't the Dalai Lama say that achieving happiness is life's goal? He's a much wiser person than I am. Of course, I hope achieving happiness includes doing things for causes beyond one's self.

Man, what a great plan! You will never regret the time spent and not miss the money! The best vacation I have had to date, was when I took my whole family, grandkids and all, to Hawaii. It was expensive, but now, the money meant nothing but the memories and pictures mean everything!

Have fun and no worries!

Dave

RICHinNC:
Wild....I have no idea if we are on the same wave length....mainly because of a bottle of rum involved...but I def get the gest.

I am ....if I am lucky....in 7 days.....57. I wont go into the details why I am so motivated to do this....but....I dont want to pass up the chance. Needless to say my boss will have a lot of input.....but I know it is doable. Cant pass this up.

Thank the gods that at this point $$$$$ is not a problem. I may wish sometime in the future I didnt do it because I could use the $$$ some where else....but man.... ya gotta do sometimes what ya gotta do.

*screw your boss. Just do it. If your job is gone when you get back, get another one, or do something else.

Don't die like my uncle (rich and senile with no friends and no fun for the previous 80 years).

When you get back, there will always be someone willing to trade your only non-renewable resource (your time) for money.

Terry

If you do this three to five years from now - I bet (KNOW) I could get my wife to go and we could join Herman and his wife for the visit.

September would be hard for a couple of years since I have a child in school - but she will be out June 2009.

I definitely think you should go for it. We only get one life!

Well....I talked to my GF too. It is on for THIS year...sorry DD...if the deployment schedule will allow it....Aug Sep time frame.

I originally thought I would make my island of choice Barbados...and it is still up there. But the thought creeped in.....why not Bonaire? Def not both though...hate flying.

Herman....how hard is it to get to Bonaire now from RDU??? Approx cost.???

Rich then think about this.... as I just went thru this!!!..... if something happens to you, your WIFE gets all your veterans benefits, social security, pension benefits, etc..... your GIRLFRIEND gets shafted. ok? get it?

No matter where we live, my mother will always receive all my dad's VA benefits(discounts on taxes!) as long as she doesn't remarry.

uhhh...no girl. My EXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX wife wont get anything. In fact, she loses my retirement pay. We are OFFICIALLY DIVORCED and other than the retirement, that takes her out of the picture. My will divies it all up between my sister and daughter.

I didn't mean your EX..... IF (big IF) you married the girl!!! Your wife can receive all your benefits. If you get discount on your taxes (property, etc) only your wife can retain those. Your daughter or anyone who lives with you cannot receive those. Also your social security can only go to a spouse. If you really want to care for her AFTER you die, these are thing to consider. please!

I've thought about a month off myself. :)

I'm still considering it as a Leave of Absence. :D
Just not sure where I'd go diving. I was thinking some tiki hut somewhere in the Pacific, very cheap........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom