Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B8EB517D-4A1C-4F14-B079-832E427E73C7.jpeg

Had a lovely dive yesterday. Just a platform dive but a relaxing 45 min of working on stuff by myself. I hadn’t planned on soloing but the local CCR diver I was going to dive with cancelled last minute. So I said screw it and soloed. Local quarry closes the end of the month. NONE of my regular buddies, even recreational ones are available, for the next 2-3 weeks. I’d rather build up hours and experience solo than letting my skills get rusty. A recreational instabuddy really couldn’t do anything for me.

Quarry owners didn’t blink when I told them I was soloing on my new CCR. I’m solo certified and did tell them where I was going to be and how long. They do allow solo CCR.

Funny story: when I got to the quarry and was going to do my pre-breathe I realized my O2 bottle was totally empty. I’d made sure it was off by purging the MAV after assy and testing Saturday evening. The valve hand wheel sits directly on the surface the unit is on due to how the frame/BP is configured. I don’t need a stand as I’m short. All I can figure is that the hand wheel rolled off when I was putting it in my car yesterday.

So I ran the 90 min back home to grab my second O2 bottle (had almost brought it with me, but didn’t). Then 90 min back to the quarry to dive. I was determined to get a dive in this weekend.

I won’t move the unit with the O2 bottle onboard anymore. I’ll take it off after testing.

Fingers crossed I finish class tomorrow. Two dives today. I can’t even explain to open circuit divers how different and how challenging buoyancy on a rebreather is. I knew it was going to be different and difficult, but it boggles the mind! 🤣😂

Trim much better today and I was able to relax enough to frog kick semi decently.
I just finished my training on a CCR, same here: I didn’t realise how much more difficult it is to manage the buoyancy on a CCR.

Like @Joneill says, it’s simple … in theory 😂

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom