Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So in looking at it, maybe that offset is the way. But it depends on how your DSV is. I would say you are safe with the offset though.

IMG_5582.JPG
IMG_5581.JPG

I just got a message from the mount seller/manufacturer asking if I wanted vertical or offset. I’m clueless here. This is the photo he sent.

@Doby45
@rddvet

View attachment 720200
I greatly prefer offset but have both. Here is my real opinion: Just like me at one point you have no idea what you'll like. Hud holders are what maybe $40 each? Buy one of each. My wife and I did and went back and forth between offset and regular and finally decided on offset. In the grand scheme of things buying two huds is minimal cash output. On top of that if the one youre using breaks before the dive, you've got a backup.
Just my opinion. But I'm one of those people that if I'm spending $8k plus on a toy, I'm just gonna go all out.

I greatly prefer offset but have both. Here is my real opinion: Just like me at one point you have no idea what you'll like. Hud holders are what maybe $40 each? Buy one of each. My wife and I did and went back and forth between offset and regular and finally decided on offset. In the grand scheme of things buying two huds is minimal cash output. On top of that if the one youre using breaks before the dive, you've got a backup.
Just my opinion. But I'm one of those people that if I'm spending $8k plus on a toy, I'm just gonna go all out.

Thanks. That’s a good idea. I’ve decided to order both.

Don’t want a Nerd right now. Seems like it would be too much in the way.
I thought this too, but got it anyway due to diving at altitude. Now I think it's amazing and almost never look at my Petral. The compass is amazing with it as well.

Finished the TDI Generic CCR eLearning. Definitely non-perky and not hokey like the PADI DPV eLearning. 😂🤣

I’ve read through the Spirit manual a couple of times already. Manual desperately needs to be updated. I’d like to know who was the original copy editor - they need to be fired. Use of ‘s for the plural sets my teeth on edge and that is throughout the entire manual. It was painful to read. Looks ignorant as f**k.

The Kiss website still shows the Spirit with a manifold at the bottom of the cans that connects to the counterlung. That has been done away with since 2020 with a new counterlung design that now attaches directly to the cans. How difficult it is to update the manual to reflect the new counterlung design, as well as showing the manifold for older units? It’s an online manual. Update it and upload a new PDF. And new photos on the website, too, which I understand is being redone.

I wouldn’t have even known about the new counterlung design if my instructor hadn’t mentioned it and if I’d not seen Woody Alpern’s video about assembly and testing of the Spirit on the Dive Talk YT channel. Regardless of what you may think of DT, that video is damned handy.

I thought this too, but got it anyway due to diving at altitude. Now I think it's amazing and almost never look at my Petral. The compass is amazing with it as well.
I don’t like digital compasses. The one on my Perdix is too freaking sensitive. My diving so far generally doesn’t require one. I can’t tell you the last time I actually dived with one.

I don’t like digital compasses. The one on my Perdix is too freaking sensitive. My diving so far generally doesn’t require one. I can’t tell you the last time I actually dived with one.

I think having it mounted to the DSV/BOV would fix a lot of issues with digital compasses.

But I agree in general so far all the digital compasses built into computer are more of a "I didn't think I needed a compass, but I suddenly do." Like once I was swimming down the run at Ginnie on a summer weekend, it was so silted up by swimmers, and after hitting one bank then the other. I surfaced, shot a compass bearing, and used it to swim to the eye.

I think having it mounted to the DSV/BOV would fix a lot of issues with digital compasses.

But I agree in general so far all the digital compasses built into computer are more of a "I didn't think I needed a compass, but I suddenly do." Like once I was swimming down the run at Ginnie on a summer weekend, it was so silted up by swimmers, and after hitting one bank then the other. I surfaced, shot a compass bearing, and used it to swim to the eye.
Maybe. But if I want a Nerd later, I can always get one. Part of the reason I got the secondary connection as a 4 pin was that adding one later would be plug and play.

Maybe. But if I want a Nerd later, I can always get one. Part of the reason I got the secondary connection as a 4 pin was that adding one later would be plug and play.

Which is smart, fixed cables are pretty stupid IMO.

But I wouldn't buy a NERD for a compass alone, because I can count the number of times I used a compass outside of a class exercise in one hand, and probably have fingers to spare. In cave diving from what I understand they are only primarily for surveys. And those compasses are more like a map compass so you can align it with the survey line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom