becoming a military diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've been having trouble finding reliable information about how to become a military diver. It seems like once you enlist, the job you get depends on a lot of things outside of your control. And once you're trained to be a diver, it doesn't sound like you actually spend allot of time in the water. If this is all true, then I don't want to join, but if it isn't then military diving sounds like the perfect job for me. Does anyone have any good information, or advise for me?

PS what about the Coast Guard. I'd love to be a Coastie but it doesn't seem like diving can be your main job

Ok, first you have to ask yourself what branch would you lke to serve in? Each has Divers, but they all fall under different areas.

The Navy has Divers and Diving Programs, and each has it's own niche, such as EOD, SEAL, and Diver. If you enlist, you can get a guaranteed contract for each program, if your ASVAB Score is high enough, AND you pass the physical tests. That is no guarantee you'll make it though. All it is, is a chance to get to the School. The rest is up to you. If you fail the course, DOR, or just decide it's not for you, you will then be sent to where the Navy needs you.

The Air Force has diving, but that falls under their SPECOPS, such as CCT or PJ. The Marine Corps also has diving, but again, I believe it comes under the RECON program (Any Marines on board know for sure?). The Army has Divers also, and I think that falls under SF and Engineers (or so I was told. That could be bad info on the Engineer part).
The Coast Guard has divers, just like the Navy, but no EOD or SEAL. What ever you decide, I would STRONGLY suggest you pick a branch that offers you want you would like, do your homework, and then decide if it's for you.

Good Luck.

Well, I wrote this post about 2 years ago when I was thinking about becoming a military diver. Since then I've made the dream come true. I'm three weeks from graduating the navy's dive school. I'm pretty happy with the decision I've made and I can't wait to go to my next duty station on board the uss frank cable in Guam.
Hooyah deep sea!

Last edited:
Well, I wrote this post about 2 years ago when I was thinking about becoming a military diver. Since then I've made the dream come true. I'm three weeks from graduating the navy's dive school. I'm pretty happy with the decision I've made and I can't wait to go to my next duty station on board the uss frank cable in Guam.
Hooyah deep sea!

Max,

Congratulations!!! Really, you should be damn proud of yourself!!!

Take care, lee

Excellent, that's great.

GoArmy.com MOS 21 D this is not, nor has it everbeen a special forces school.:D You join, go to basic, 9 weeks, then dive school for appx 21 weeks, its great, (Just make sure its what you want):confused::confused: take a prior military member with you:no: and talk to a recuiter near you:shocked2:

Thats great to hear, I will have to hit you up when we go to Guam again. I am on a ship out of Yokosuka, Japan.

Marine Corps divers mostly fall under "Force Recon".

A few other MOS's carry divers, but the majority are "Force Recon".

Enjoy your enlistment!

congrats my friend. I will be in guam towards the end of the year while i am on deployment.

Just remember, there is a little phrase in the contract that goes ......for the need of the services.

That means is really doesnt count what you sign up for, what counts is what the services need the day you show up. Just as another note, it isnt the first swearing in that counts, it is the second one.

All that being said, worse case is you have to pull one hitch regardless of what ever job you ended up with.

Bring back the draft!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom