Becoming a DM in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ARJohnson93

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Scuba Board!

I'm looking to become a DM this year, have been diving for circa 12 years now. (currently PADI rescue/MSD).

My question is: Can you make enough money as a part time DM in the UK, to cover the cost of occasional diving and kit purchases etc.

I'm currently on the 40% tax bracket, so I'm thinking I'm not going to make a lot of the little do earn? Interested to see other UK DMs opinions, and if there's a tax efficient way to do it?

Hi Scuba Board!

I'm looking to become a DM this year, have been diving for circa 12 years now. (currently PADI rescue/MSD).

My question is: Can you make enough money as a part time DM in the UK, to cover the cost of occasional diving and kit purchases etc.

I'm currently on the 40% tax bracket, so I'm thinking I'm not going to make a lot of the little do earn? Interested to see other UK DMs opinions, and if there's a tax efficient way to do it?
It will help if you include your location. If you live next to a very active shop or close to a training lake, you could make it work. If you commute long distance, probably not.

From what I know, you might be able to cover your immediate costs (fuel, entrance, air fill but not gear) and maybe some pocket money (think enough to buy a tea and a bacon bap) with one of the London PADI mills that train in Wraysbury. Not sure that would be worth your weekends and evenings if you are in the 40% tax bracket.

Sometimes instructors need a second diver underwater or shore cover when teaching to fulfil HSE requirements but you need to be "known" to them. Going rate for shore cover used to be around 20-30 pounds and the second diver is frequently just someone who needs to test their gear, diving for free.

You could join BSAC and go for dive leader - probably cheaper in the end and you don't need to be a dive shop slave.

It will help if you include your location. If you live next to a very active shop or close to a training lake, you could make it work. If you commute long distance, probably not.

From what I know, you might be able to cover your immediate costs (fuel, entrance, air fill but not gear) and maybe some pocket money (think enough to buy a tea and a bacon bap) with one of the London PADI mills that train in Wraysbury. Not sure that would be worth your weekends and evenings if you are in the 40% tax bracket.

Sometimes instructors need a second diver underwater or shore cover when teaching to fulfil HSE requirements but you need to be "known" to them. Going rate for shore cover used to be around 20-30 pounds and the second diver is frequently just someone who needs to test their gear, diving for free.

You could join BSAC and go for dive leader - probably cheaper in the end and you don't need to be a dive shop slave.
Thanks, I appreciate that response. I'm based in the South of the UK near Sevenoaks. Currently diving with Oyster and looking to do the DM with them.

Thanks, I appreciate that response. I'm based in the South of the UK near Sevenoaks. Currently diving with Oyster and looking to do the DM with them.
I sent you a DM with some info, enjoy :wink: .

Back
Top Bottom