Becoming a Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in divemaster intern. When I started I felt that I was ready boy was I wrong. I had to practice my skills daily i had to learn thing I have never done in the water. I took it personal to learn and practice what I did not know because at somepoint there will be a openwater student ask you how to do something and if you cant do it how can you teach it.

My thoughts on your question is that if you feel you are ready to go from rescue straight into divemaster take a step back and make sure you have the ability and skills to lead a class and foremost the ability to see a problem before it happens.

If you are ready then go for it but if not take the extra time and wait.
It was a reality check for me.

One difference I have noticed about the PADI "Master Diver" level vs. the NAUI "Master Diver" level is the number of dives required to accomplish this. From what I can tell, you have to have a minimum of 50 logged dives with PADI but could accomplish the same title of "Master Diver" with as few as 19 dives with NAUI. At least when I checked the NAUI website I didn't see a minimum # of dives required. So it seems at least the PADI level of "Master Diver" requires more experience.

BDSC

One difference I have noticed about the PADI "Master Diver" level vs. the NAUI "Master Diver" level is the number of dives required to accomplish this. From what I can tell, you have to have a minimum of 50 logged dives with PADI but could accomplish the same title of "Master Diver" with as few as 19 dives with NAUI. At least when I checked the NAUI website I didn't see a minimum # of dives required. So it seems at least the PADI level of "Master Diver" requires more experience.

BDSC

Just a point of etiquette: both NAUI and PADI offer "Master Scuba Diver" ratings. The "Master Diver" rating is a Navy title earned after years of experience, and it is generally viewed as disrespectful to use the Navy term in reference to a recreational rating.

Just a point of etiquette: both NAUI and PADI offer "Master Scuba Diver" ratings. The "Master Diver" rating is a Navy title earned after years of experience, and it is generally viewed as disrespectful to use the Navy term in reference to a recreational rating.

I certainly don't want to be disrespectful to the Navy. I just didn't know they had the rights to the term, "Master Diver". Perhaps you should contact USA "Underwater Schools of America" and tell them. The have a MASTER DIVER rating.

BDSC

Padi Master Scuba Diver Card is issued after you have completed 5 specialty courses, core specialty's being Deep class is 4 dive with task navigation 2 dives and 3 choice specialties after completion and a total of 50 dives you can apply for your master scuba diver and all specialties require book knowledge reviews so a test and 8 dive doesn't seem like much

Padi Master Scuba Diver Card is issued after you have completed 5 specialty courses, core specialty's being Deep class is 4 dive with task navigation 2 dives and 3 choice specialties after completion and a total of 50 dives you can apply for your master scuba diver and all specialties require book knowledge reviews so a test and 8 dive doesn't seem like much

AFAIK there are no "core specialties" for PADI Master. For AOW yes, 2 of the dives are deep and nav. That idea does not extend to Master Scuba Diver, the 5 specialties can be almost anything. (If someone put their mind to it, they could probably take 5 different fish ID type courses offered in different places, or 5 different specialties that actually required no dives.) The NAUI class is a defined program that covers a lot of non-fluff material.

DIVE MASTER, My advice would be to take your Rescue Diver first and let it all soak in, get comfortable with being a Rescue Diver. If you are around Dive Masters and Instructors watch them, see how they conduct themselves, choose a good role model
and get to know that person, have them explain to you what is really expected from a Dive Master and ask him or her to evaluate your skills before going any further, you can always find areas that need improving. You only need 60 OW dives under your belt to become a Dive Master but trust me the more experience you have the more valuable you are. I hope that my advice is of some help to you, Take care and good luck in your quest to become a Dive Master, in my opinion they are invaluable.
Southwood.

PADI Master Scuba Diver requires OW, AOW, Rescue, and 5 specialities, with 50 logged dives. Training wise, thats about 28 dives. Its not uncommon for a shop to offer all of those classes in one package as a MSD course.

PADI Master Scuba Diver requires OW, AOW, Rescue, and 5 specialities, with 50 logged dives. Training wise, thats about 28 dives. Its not uncommon for a shop to offer all of those classes in one package as a MSD course.

I read that as no course, just meet the requirements, pay your money, get a card.

Back
Top Bottom