Bearing In Scuba Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a 19cf pony tank and when I move it around it sounds like a small ball bearing is rolling around the inside of the tank. I bought the pony setup brand new and it works good, but this seems odd. Is it safe to assume that there shouldn't be a ball bearing in the tank?

I doubt it's a ball bearing. Rather the small tube attached to the bottom of the valve inside the tank.....it is very likely that it has come loose.

You have two options:
#1 drain the tank and remove the valve assembly and the tube, insert/reattach the small tube (you will see the opening on the bottom of the valve)
#2 take it to a local shop and have them do the same

-after you remove the valve and replace the small tube, you will have to get it filled again. some shops require a VIP before they will fill completely empty tanks - something to bare in mind when doing it

valveipb2.jpg

No 15 on the pic is the piece that is most likely in there

dlent:
I have a 19cf pony tank and when I move it around it sounds like a small ball bearing is rolling around the inside of the tank. I bought the pony setup brand new and it works good, but this seems odd. Is it safe to assume that there shouldn't be a ball bearing in the tank?

It is the dip tube. Blow down the tank. Take off the valve. Invert bottle -- drop tube out -- screw it into the valve base -- take a pair of pliers and grip the tube tightly and tighten it -- don't gall or scrape it. Put valve back on. HAND TIGHT then refill.

That's it. Or bring it to your PDC and have them do it. They should not charge you to do this. It takes 2 minutes.

Cheers

JS1scuba:
...take a pair of pliers and grip the tube tightly and tighten it -- don't gall or scrape it.
...or crush it.

Roak

Thanks for the quick reply everyone! I'll take it to the shop and have them put the tube back on.

Tamas, nice exploded view of a valve. That photo and a parts list should be a sticky somewhere on the board.

Back
Top Bottom