Beaches in FLA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When not diving, what beaches in FLA are the best beaches for family fun and just relaxing? If they are also good dive sites then that's a bonus. Are the gulf beaches less crowded and any better?

Thanks

Walter:
The best beaches (assuming you want wide white sand) are in the Panhandle around Pensacola.

Yes, like nice sand and relaxing when not diving.

Thanks

Lovers Key State Park - National Gold Medal winner state park for the 2nd time now (only park to do this) - great beaches, great wildlife habitat.. diving, eh... 8' sandy bottom at 100 yards :)

I agree with the responses that the best beaches in Florida are in the Panhandle from Panama City to Pensacola. The beaches are gorgeous with sugar-white sand that I have not see elsewhere in the world, and I have been to quite a few beaches. I particularly like the Destin-Fort Walton Beach area because it has the clearest water along the Panhandle coast (the clearest along the whole Gulf of Mexico coast of the U.S., for that matter). The continental shelf is narrower here and a deep water canyon (DeSoto Canyon) funnels clear water inshore. I've seen visibility of 40-50 ft right off the beach. Diving is certainly not in the Keys or Ft. Lauderdale category, but it is surprising how many tropical species you will see off Destin in the summertime. Destin is also very family-friendly.

Another advocate for the Panhandle. Panama City, Destin, and Fort Walton are more built up and commercialized. South Walton County is less built up and has three state parks. I personally love it the best.

I think Pensacola has more dive sites. New to diving so can't say a whole lot about that.

I just don't think you could go wrong with any where in the Panhandle.

CBulla:
Lovers Key State Park - National Gold Medal winner state park for the 2nd time now (only park to do this) - great beaches, great wildlife habitat.. diving, eh... 8' sandy bottom at 100 yards :)

Is Lovers Key one of the Keys? If so, where is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom