Beach Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds good to me. I enjoyed some non-beach, shore diving in Maryland years ago. We had to wait for cooler temperatures when water was clearer but it was worth it for all we got to see.

We have found that my husband tends to get sick in "rough seas" in a boat enroute, so he much prefers shore diving. Both of us prefer the flexiblity shore diving allows - no "hurry, hurry, wait, wait" of boat diving with a group. We love the simplicity of planning our dives the night before, waking up when we want, getting our gear, parking as close as possible (sometimes having to pass on sites with a more than normal or difficult entry/walk out), swimming out, and diving until we are out of air or our computers send us out. Our dives are always longer shore diving than with a group from a boat (where deadlines are often set), and more relaxing. Also, we get to pick our sites, what time we leave, return, how long our SI will be, and where. And maybe we feel unsociable some mornings - no worries, my husband is quietly relieved. :D.
We are just "vacation divers" but if we lived on the coast, We would certainly look for possible shore diving sites nearby. Plus, it's much cheaper per dive than boat diving (at least it is for us).
Drawbacks - sometimes my husband carries my gear to the water where I put it on (if that is the only do-able way for me to get to that more difficult entry site. I can usually scamper out with my gear, with or w/o assistance) so sometimes this is extra work for him. Also, since I am small, I prefer 63" Nitrox tanks which are not always easy to rent. This is a noticeable differance for me shore diving (but the 80's aren't easy on a tossing boat, either).
Having shore dived Bonaire, and Curacao several times (which we love), we are trying to locate new possibilites without a lot of succes (we have a Cayman Brac trip planned in 3 wks, so we are hopeful there, and looking into the other Cayman's). We love shore diving and are always open to great shore diving possibilities. Suggestions? (Sportxlh, where/what is LBTS?). Happy Bubbles.

LBTS = Lauderdale By The Sea

Flutter,

Take a look at Coco View Resort on Roatan for easy shore diving at the resort. They have a system of dropping divers off nearby on the boat's return from a boat dive making it easy to do 5 or 6 dives a day.

We have found that my husband tends to get sick in "rough seas" in a boat enroute, so he much prefers shore diving. Both of us prefer the flexiblity shore diving allows - no "hurry, hurry, wait, wait" of boat diving with a group. We love the simplicity of planning our dives the night before, waking up when we want, getting our gear, parking as close as possible (sometimes having to pass on sites with a more than normal or difficult entry/walk out), swimming out, and diving until we are out of air or our computers send us out. Our dives are always longer shore diving than with a group from a boat (where deadlines are often set), and more relaxing. Also, we get to pick our sites, what time we leave, return, how long our SI will be, and where. And maybe we feel unsociable some mornings - no worries, my husband is quietly relieved. :D.
We are just "vacation divers" but if we lived on the coast, We would certainly look for possible shore diving sites nearby. Plus, it's much cheaper per dive than boat diving (at least it is for us).
Drawbacks - sometimes my husband carries my gear to the water where I put it on (if that is the only do-able way for me to get to that more difficult entry site. I can usually scamper out with my gear, with or w/o assistance) so sometimes this is extra work for him. Also, since I am small, I prefer 63" Nitrox tanks which are not always easy to rent. This is a noticeable differance for me shore diving (but the 80's aren't easy on a tossing boat, either).
Having shore dived Bonaire, and Curacao several times (which we love), we are trying to locate new possibilites without a lot of succes (we have a Cayman Brac trip planned in 3 wks, so we are hopeful there, and looking into the other Cayman's). We love shore diving and are always open to great shore diving possibilities. Suggestions? (Sportxlh, where/what is LBTS?). Happy Bubbles.

I beach dive a lot. To the point I almost prefer it to commercial boat diving. With my own gear it only costs an air fill and parking meter. I can go whenever I want to, weather permitting, and stay as long as I want. I go solo a lot of times so there is some extra preparation in that. Here in S. Florida, the reefs are easy access, pretty close to shore, and plenty to see.

Now if this cold water would just go away so I can shed some neoprene..

LBTS = Lauderdale By The Sea

I think LBTS is what I was thinking when I said:

In general, I like it a lot if it's convenient enough. Bonaire: FANTASTIC. S. Florida: can be a PITA if one has to unload gear, find a parking space, return to gear up, trudge across a wide expanse of hot sand while avoiding sunbathers, swim a long way out to the reef, and repeat in reverse.

I far prefer diving from shore.

I enjoy Beach diving for the simplicity and many other reasons posted previously.

Most of the people I dive with don't like the swim out. I've been thinking of trying to use a boogie board or scooters to make the swim out to the reefs easier for them.

But what I like most about beach diving is that I can get in a "quick" dive without losing half a day or more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom