Beach diving this weekend? (4/9-11/04)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought others might benefit from some local fill station info.

Coastal Marine said that their O2 analyzer is broken, but that they are open till 6 this evening and open again at 0830 in the morning. I didn't think to ask whether they had rental tanks with air in stock.

Lauderdale Divers is open till 6 pm tonight and doesn't open till 0900, plus they're in Ft. Lauderdale, which is a little further away.

I also spoke with Force E in Lauderdale/Pompano, and they are open till 7 pm tonight and open at 0730 in the morning.

(I'm new, so I don't know how familiar everybody else is with the shops. I've used Force E and Fill Express several times and have been happy with the price and service.)

Here are the numbers, in case you need them. (Jenny, et. al., feel free to wipe them out if listing them violates the ScubaBoard policy on advertising.)

Hope to see you in the morning,
Grier

Coastal Marine Diving Supply
614 E Dania Beach Blvd.
Hollywood, FL 33019-1209
Phone: (954) 923-2388

Fill Express
2045 North Dixie Highway
Pompano Beach, FL 33060-4957
Telephone: 954-786-0661

Force E Lauderdale Dive Center
2700 E. Atlantic Blvd
Pompano Beach, FL 33062
Phone: (954) 943-3483

Lauderdale Diver
1334 SE 17th Street
Ft Lauderdale FL 33316
Phone: (954) 467-2822

So...did you guys dive Dania Erojacks yesterday? I REALLY wanted to go...maybe next weekend we can sneak a dive in...
In the meantime..how about a trip report :D

GrierHPharmD:
Of course, it might be nice, though a little morbid, to see what damage the freighter did if it's not too far out.

We drove past the ship that grounded out when we went out on AD II on the 28th. It's too far out to get to from shore - at least 3/4 of mile out. It was a bit further out that some of the other anchored ships were.

Marc

Scuba_Jenny:
So...did you guys dive Dania Erojacks yesterday? I REALLY wanted to go...maybe next weekend we can sneak a dive in...
In the meantime..how about a trip report :D

Jenny - We MISSED YOU!!!! We did a LONG surface swim to the Erojacks and had a lovely dive. There was so much to see!!! Marvel got a little chilled, so we headed in after only an HOUR!!!!! Oh, it was so cool. The coolest thing I saw was a sea star that was regrowing his leggy. Then, today we met up with Grier on Commercial and floated along the reef. The coolest thing from that dive was a scorpion fish. He was a big dude! As usual, it was a great weekend of diving! Although I hate parking on commercial.

Every time I hit the beach I wonder why I didn't move to South Florida sooner.

The Eurojack dive was great, though I'd have probably walked a little closer to them before hitting the water if I had it to do over (we swam from the pier, which was a nice, long trip). But the viz was good (30-40 ft), temp was fine (76 degrees). Lots of sea life, especially the last 1/3 of the jacks going east. Swam back along the ledge reef toward the pier. Saw lots of puffers, surgeonfish, a few sand divers. CincyDiver saw what was probably a cobia, pretty large. Dove with Marvel, Cincydiver & Waterbabie.

Yesterday, Lauderdale by the sea was amazing. I dived in the morning, swimming for a long time with a friendly little hawkbill turtle, then later with two large (14") cuttlefish that put on a light show for me. In the morning, the sea was flat and calm with a just enough current to bring you back to the beach in a gentle drift. Ended near the pier in a school (~30) of young barracuda (~2'). Lots of Broward Co. Sherriff's Office presence in the morning - 2 boats stayed near the pier - very visible. Maybe that's why we didn't encounter the usual boat traffic.

Waterbabie, CincyDiver and I dove again in the afternoon and got a little beat up by surge and current, but had a great time on the reef anyway. Viz had degraded a bit, but water was warmer (78 degrees). Saw several LARGE stoplight parrots and a large yellow starfish (sorry, I don't know the name), as well as a small yellow stingray at the surf line. Lots of divers & snorkelers out yesterday. Plenty to see for everybody...

If I wasn't traveling next weekend, I'd do it again then...

-Grier

It was a great dive! Meeting you, Rebecca, & Chris was a lot of fun! Question- you dove in my neighborhood & didn't tell me?????? I returned an unused tank on Sat..... :wink:

GrierHPharmD:
Every time I hit the beach I wonder why I didn't move to South Florida sooner.

The Eurojack dive was great, though I'd have probably walked a little closer to them before hitting the water if I had it to do over (we swam from the pier, which was a nice, long trip). But the viz was good (30-40 ft), temp was fine (76 degrees). Lots of sea life, especially the last 1/3 of the jacks going east. Swam back along the ledge reef toward the pier. Saw lots of puffers, surgeonfish, a few sand divers. CincyDiver saw what was probably a cobia, pretty large. Dove with Marvel, Cincydiver & Waterbabie.

Yesterday, Lauderdale by the sea was amazing. I dived in the morning, swimming for a long time with a friendly little hawkbill turtle, then later with two large (14") cuttlefish that put on a light show for me. In the morning, the sea was flat and calm with a just enough current to bring you back to the beach in a gentle drift. Ended near the pier in a school (~30) of young barracuda (~2'). Lots of Broward Co. Sherriff's Office presence in the morning - 2 boats stayed near the pier - very visible. Maybe that's why we didn't encounter the usual boat traffic.

Waterbabie, CincyDiver and I dove again in the afternoon and got a little beat up by surge and current, but had a great time on the reef anyway. Viz had degraded a bit, but water was warmer (78 degrees). Saw several LARGE stoplight parrots and a large yellow starfish (sorry, I don't know the name), as well as a small yellow stingray at the surf line. Lots of divers & snorkelers out yesterday. Plenty to see for everybody...

If I wasn't traveling next weekend, I'd do it again then...

-Grier

Marvel:
It was a great dive! Meeting you, Rebecca, & Chris was a lot of fun! Question- you dove in my neighborhood & didn't tell me?????? I returned an unused tank on Sat..... :wink:

Grier, now you've done it!!! LOL

Rick

Scubaguy62:
Grier, now you've done it!!! LOL

Rick

Well, to be fair :10: , they knew I had a problem with the water temps but I did sit on the beach all day & watch lots of divers go out & come back in... :yleyes:

Well, I didn't meet up with anyone from the board, but I did make it to the Erojacks on Saturday. After getting tanks from Fill Express, I got to the State Park just before 10am. The park ranger at the entrance said some divers had gone to the public beach, but I went in anyway. I managed to hook up with a student and her instructor who were going out to finish her OW cert. dives. While they worked on skills, I toured around the jacks and the little reef. It was GREAT to dive in salt water! 1st dive was 52 min. and after a short (17min) SI, we went back down for another 39min dive. Had to swim a bit against the current while we floated out the SI so if you swam from the pier on the surface, I know how hard that must have been!

On Sunday, my family went to the Datura shipwreck snorkel trail. My 9 and 12 year olds were swimming with me on snorkel. We saw a large starfish in 10-12 fsw which was very cool, but my 9 yr old bailed out when given the chance before we found the trail. My son saw everything though and is dying to get certified (they did a Discover Scuba last week and really, REALLY want to do more!)

If you do anything mid-week, I'll try to hook up with you again.

-Rob

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom