Beach diving Kauai next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ob1Stogie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I started this conversation on another thread, so I though I would just C&P my last question/answer in hopes of getting more responses:

Hmmm, sounds like I need to start sweet talking. I only beach dive here in SoCal and rough, rocky entries are normal. Since I mainly hunt while I dive, I always search out the tough spots where there won't be any newbies or dive classes. Since I won't be hunting in HI, I like to go to out of the way spots. I really hate spots crowded with people who only dive on vacation.

For example, when I was in Honolulu this summer for work, I dove a spot I found off the tip of Diamond Head where I saw some local spearfishermen. It was not deep (max 25ft) but once I swam out about 200 yards it was fun seeing the fish and poking my head in all the holes. The locals thought I was crazy for diving there since it was very rocky and 2-3ft surf. Maybe I am.

The other spot I went to was the Power Plant down past Ko'olina resort. It was a really easy dive, but the water coming out of those big pipes was something to see. I spent an hour just exploring. Luckily there was an instructor and a student just coming out of the water to "clue me in" to the $8 I needed to pay the local "sheriff" to watch my car while I was in the water.

As you can see, I'm not afraid to try unique and or tough spots. I dive a DSS backplate, steel 95's and carry a 13CuFt pony since 90% of my dives are solo. Is there someone you can recommend, at a reasonable price, to guide me for say two dives? I would really like to get wet at least four times while I'm on Kauai. I'm going to rent a SUV, so I can drive anywhere we need to go. If my guide plays golf, I can hook you up with all the clothing you'll need since I run a golf apparel company!

PS, I had to snicker when you said the water was getting COLD at 78 degrees! I think the warmest I have ever dove here in SoCal is 70. Most of the time the bottom is around 55, so 78 sounds great!

Temecula! Red Hawk!! :)

I think most of the shore diving in Kauai is on the southern shores, or near poipu. And you should be there when the currents are mild. Personally I havent done any shore diving there. I did call one shop in Kapa'a and he said they can hook up a guide for any shore dive for 40 buks per dive including weights and tank only (gotta do 2 dives though, so 80buks). You can look at shops in Poipu and maybe find it cheaper. Here is the shop I called: http://www.divekauai.com/prices.htm

Yeah if you are used to COLD water, then hawaii's water will be like a warm sunny socal day, minus the smog. I usually go out in board shorts and a thermal top or rash guard...just to snug the bcd.

Have fun! We just made a week long stay and it was awesome. Played at the Prince course in princeville....its ranked like 2nd hardest course in the nation..? Puts redhawk to shame...but lacks 3 tier greens. :wink: Still shot low 80's so it wasnt THAT hard.

Thanks SexSea. Anyone know if there are any shops that rent steel tanks? I think my weight will be fine since I won't have my 7MM suit, but I really hate to take weight off my BP since it's such a pain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom