Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaandbooks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I’m a new OW diver. I was looking to do my first beach dive this weekend for my birthday. I haven’t dove since I got certified 2 years ago, but I am going out with a friend who is AOW. I was thinking Shaw’s Cove would be a nice place to start.
I have heard of places requiring a floatie that tells people above water there’s divers underneath...do you guys know anything about this rule and how it applies to Laguna Beach? Are there any other rules/suggestions I should be aware of before getting out there on Saturday (June 2nd)? I’d appreciate any tips and/or advice you guys may have for me and my buddy!
Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading your posts!!

I googled and figure OC is Orange County. If so, you may get more replies posting on the CA forum under U.S.

Here's a current thread on the subject:

Laguna dive shops and buddies needed 6/9-12

I have not been diving at Shaw's Cove for about 35 years so things may have changed a bit. I've heard that it's illegal in Laguna to crack your tank valve before attaching your regulator because the hissing sound annoys the local residents but it's probably OK to blast your ghetto blaster. They also ban diving if the surf is more that four or five feet or something like that. I don't know of any diver's flag requirement in California unless you are on a boat, but you can check with Laguna Sea Sports and find out all the local rules. They are a couple of blocks up from Shaw's Cove (close enough to walk with your gear on unless you are an old geezer like me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom