Beach diving in Kill Devil Hills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vmsgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I found an operator that conducts beach dives in the Kill Devil Hills area. I booked for next week, the name of the outfit is Nags Head Diving.

I realize the weather and conditions can be very fickle, but on the average, what can we expect for this time of the year?

It is different nearly every day for beach dives. If you have a steady east wind for a few days, it will tend to clear things up a bit. A great day is 30' viz, a normal day is 10'. Water temps can vary widely too. If it is warm enough, you may not need a wetsuit, although it does offer some protection from bumping into rusty stuff. Having a guide is handy. I've never dove with NHD, but the crew at OBX Dive Center did a great story telling session before the dive as part of the pre-dive brief. I'm sure you'll get the history of the wrecks too. Its too interesting not to cover.

The shop you booked the beach dive tour with is a good bet. They have been doing the area beach dives for many years and know which ones are going to be the best dives at any particular time. Having a guide is a good idea as just finding some of them is a skill and requires some local knowledge.

As earlier posted; conditions off the Northern beaches are very dependant upon the weather, the direction of the wind, swell and wave action controlls the vis and if it is even possible to safely get out to the wrecks.

When I drove past there earlier today the ocean north of Diamond Shoals looked like a lake with little two footer waves coming ashore. That is the result of the SW wind and generally calm conditions we have been having for the past several days. Water looked pretty clear as well. All that can and will change as the weather does, but the water is very clear right now and you should have some good dives if the wind does not come up hard E or NE during your stay.

Did it last month. I didn't need a guide, but I did go to the beach earlier to see where they were diving. It is literally barely over a stones throw from the shore. A buoy was tied in at 16ft, but part of the wreck was only 8 feet under. I had an inflatable kayak that I clipped right on the buoy.

And if you get a chance, go dive in Hatteras with Dave (Akyla). He runs a great boat :D

Steve

I won't be booking a guide but I live a street down from the triangle wrecks a d know where they are. I want to scuba them and have my gear but it's been about 10 years sine I dove but I will be here until Aug. 16. I would rather go out with someone else so let me know if you would be interested.

We just dove the NC coast this past weekend (the Indra wreck, not far offshore from Beaufort). The water temperature was about 80 degrees. The waves were small rolling swells, 2-4 feet. The visibility was 10-20 feet.

I get cold quickly in 80 degree water with just a dive skin, but a 3mm full suit keeps me comfortable. I'm on the "easily chilled" end of the spectrum. My husband is OK in just a 1mm skin in 80 degrees. I also know people who use 5mm suits in that temperature, and they let some water in now and then to cool off.

We ended up scrubbing today's dives at the request of the operator, who stated that visibility for the last several days has been abysmal.

Maybe next week...

Any particular reason you're going for beach dives? The offshore diving has been excellent.

Just something I've been wanting to try, that's all.

Also, I'm still new at this, been only diving for a year, and my 13 y/o son always comes diving with me... are there offshore dive sites no deeper than 50-60ft?

The Advance wreck would be a good offshore dive for you. It is one of the shallower ones and is often used for OW classes. Chat with Bill at Outer Banks Dive Center in Nags Head. Depending on conditions, the beach dives can actually be tougher than the offshore ones; They have less viz, more surge, navigation can be tough, and just finding them is a challenge sometimes. With that being said, they are a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom