Beach Dives (Fins on or off)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Tim!

I had my hat handed to me a couple of weeks ago at Shaw's, believe it or not.

Conditions were running 2-3' surf, but was doable. Buddy and I noticed a Rip Tide. No Biggie. We got in with our fins on our arm, got past the surf zone just fine. AFTER we got in, surf had picked up. So we pre planned our exit. Made our dive in 3-4' of viz (you know it's bad when you MISS the Arch! LOL). We had lots of surge pushing us 8-10' at a time. Despite bad conditions, we stayed down about an hour. on our way back and as we got closer to shore there was a STRONG undertow. We surfaced fairly close to shore. Rip Tide was still occurring, as well as a strong rip current which took me out about 30 to 40 yards almost to our drop down zone. I managed to swim always perpendicular to the current and finally was able to get out approximately 20 minutes later. We didn't get rolled, but we were beat from the exertion of trying to get out of the surf.

yeah, even Shaw's can get wicked!

I think Id just take ALL my dive gear off and go home with that surf :p

Off going in and out. Put them on in the water!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom