Beach Dives (Fins on or off)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim R Alcoser JR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wondering how some of you guys and gals prefer to enter the surf. With your fins on or with them off? I am doing my first beach Dive on Saturday and am curious what any fellow divers think of the pro and cons of each.

Fins off for me. Try both options and see what work. Conditions can also play a role in your choice.

Off for me too. I can't keep my balance well in fins with the waves/surge pushing me around. Once I am over my head in water, I put them on

I like to go in with my fins off, but depending on the size of the surf and the type of beach.

In NorCal some beaches are very short once you walk in the water and can drop off quickly (in one step) from two to six feet deeper than the ankle or calf deep beach. The wave break causes this drop and the surf can beat you up good if you stay there.

With fins put on at the waters edge, I don't get up once I stumble. It only takes a few inches of water to float you and trying to stand back up in the surf will just wear you out. Go under the waves on the way out and regroup out of the surf zone. I use a snorkle, but you may want to use your reg untill you get used to the evolution.

Putting on fins in the surf zone is the best way to loose them, so if there is any doubt, put them on before you get in the water. It's about technique, as time goes on you will get better and be able to put them on in harsher conditions.

Bob
-------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

The higher the waves, the more likely I am to go fins on. In a calm bay, we float out our gear, carry our fins, and gear up in waist deep water. In heavy surf, we sometimes "knee crawl" or even crawl hand and knees, fins on, to get horizontal and kick out past the surf line as soon as possible. It took close to a few hundred shore dives, and a bit of pride swallowing, to get there, but it works for us. Also factor in visibility. Fairly high surf and limited visibility is a lost fin waiting to happen. Condition dictate procedures.
DivemasterDennis

Confucius say, "He who walk with fins on, end up with flat nose." Fins off for me and put them on in waist deep water. Have fun on your first shore dive.

yes I vote off as long and the waves are manageble after the surf, (ie. small.) if large surf then on and walk backwards as soon as you can swim turn and go under surf.

I agree with all. There are only a couple of really odd entry conditions where I have chosen to put them on first. The most common of these is really heavy rolling surge (not necessarily big breaking waves) where dropping one of my negatively buoyant fins can be costly). My usual procedure is walk in to thigh/waist depth, float butt down, cross one leg to the other side (left leg to right side, etc.), reg in, head usually underwater, and put that fin on while holding the other one. Then other fin on same way. Watch that water doesn't slosh way into ears. Buy the $40 spring straps (if diving with booties) thus no messing with buckles. Then go over to help buddy/students who are messing with buckles wearing thick wet or dry gloves.

On shore dives I preferr going fins off and when it get deep enough to float I just lean back and don the fins while bobbing on the surface.

I currently use spring straps, which makes it a bit easier, but while wearing the <insert right word for other kind of> straps it worked ok as long as I remembered to loosen them BEFORE I went into the water. (My shore dives is generally cold and then I wear gloves, which makes messing about with straps and clips a bit messy)

Put your gear on at home including your fins and run across the living room, then get back to me and let me know how that turned out.

I always go shore entry with fins off, BC inflated.

Boat entry with fins on, BC inflated.

Back
Top Bottom