Be honest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
You can use an abacus? I can use it to add and subtract, but I never learned to use it to multiply and divide. Any chance of you teaching me? I only have a small abacus.

Step Mom is Japanese... a WIZ on the thing. She taught me.

She ran a retail operation on one... no cash register in the place. Ran it all on an big old abacus.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Step Mom is Japanese... a WIZ on the thing. She taught me.

She ran a retail operation on one... no cash register in the place. Ran it all on an big old abacus.

---
Ken
That is really cool.

I remember how to use my dive tables too.

I remember how to use mine as well, and I do use them to plan the diving.

I use my computer but when im suckin NITROX, i use my charts to back up my computer. So i remember very well how to use the charts..

Walter:
You can use an abacus? I can use it to add and subtract, but I never learned to use it to multiply and divide. Any chance of you teaching me? I only have a small abacus.

I haven't seen an abacus in many years but I think I can multiply and divide on one. Thinking back to may days programming assembly ... multiplication is just a bunch of successive additions. Division is just successive subtractions.

Yes I can still figure out tables...I don't because multi level dives puts me off table.

Being a newbie this doesn't count as I had better be able to remember...(instructor is here somewhere).:D

I use the tables to plan dives and review the nitrogen group (and oxygen clock if applicable).:D

I don't plan the dives in the shallow quarry since I'd need to haul about 3 tanks in with me (and a shovel) to exceed the NDL, but I check the group designation afterwards for practice.

I can do my air tables, no problem. I'd need 5 minutes of refresher (from the book) for nitrox. I've got a pretty good feel on my max bottom times for various depths and more importantly, those depths where my max bottom time may exceed my available gas. Despite all this, I rely heavily on my computer.

I do not fill in pressure groups on my log as that would frequently reflect mandatory deco stops.

I will use the tables to clear a path on the boat ... a really good idea.

Dive tables are a piece-of-cake!!

Okay, I have to know because I have to teach them. For NDL dives, don't really use them. I've been diving enough that I know the limits for most depths.

For deco dives I always use the Navy air tables as my last ditch plan should my computer fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom