BCD Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At times I hardly have any water in the bladder after a couple of dives. Other times there is more. Logically that should correspond exactly to how many times you release air. But I don't think that is the only factor-- sometimes I hardly touch the inflator and there is a lot, other times I vary my depths a lot and vent more often and there is way less than I'd expect. Don't know the physics of it all.

At times I hardly have any water in the bladder after a couple of dives. Other times there is more. Logically that should correspond exactly to how many times you release air. But I don't think that is the only factor-- sometimes I hardly touch the inflator and there is a lot, other times I vary my depths a lot and vent more often and there is way less than I'd expect. Don't know the physics of it all.
The less weight I use, the more water in the BCD.

The less weight I use, the more water in the BCD.
Any thoughts as to why? Makes sense that overweighted divers use more air, but not properly weighted divers regardless of how much weight makes them "proper".

Any thoughts as to why? Makes sense that overweighted divers use more air, but not properly weighted divers regardless of how much weight makes them "proper".
Trying to get more air out of my BCD near the end of the dive. If I am a little heavy every time I bump the deflator the air rushes out. If I am a little light I am twisting and turning with the deflator open trying to get the last bubbles to exit. Same thing happens with a drysuit dump valve.

Not sure where to post this. My BCD, bought used in 2005 is still the only one I've had. Though it is now a piece of crap, it's still functional, no doubt due to my OCD in rinsing. 2 questions:
-- I dump as much of the salt water out after my last dive of the day.
-- I rinse the inside by adding a little baby shampoo with the ton of fresh water.
- obviously this has worked.
The questions are:
1. Why isn't emptying the salt water and using baby shampoo mentioned when there are threads on rinsing?
I think I read somewhere about the shampoo, but not the salt water dumping.
2. I have read that you should dump all the rinse water to insure the inside is dry, particularly if storing for a while. I would think the inside never gets dry because there is nowhere for the water/dampness to evaporate.
Am I correct?

you can inflate you wing a few times and with the super dry inflation air from your tank, it will absorb some of the water residue in the bladder. I leave my bladders inflated while not in use. I have never heard of anyone saying drain salt water, it is always drain the bladder which is fresh or salt inclusive. I have never used baby shampoo but I have used something like simple green or ODOBAN , ODER BAN or similar given names. the odoban has stuff in it to kill microbes and the like. It is used for spraying on pet piss puddles on carpet to kill the bacteria to prevent the smell. aND LAUNDRY DETERGENT FOR THE ELDERLY THAT CAN NOT CONTROL THEM SELVES IN NURSING HOMES ETC.

over weighted divers or during the start of the dive when you are over weighted from air. you have pressure in the bladder that should oppose water entering the bladder in you do not get a perfect seal on the dump valve.

I do more or less the same thing.

However I then fully inflate my BCD and place it upside down on a chair on my patio. This way, all the residual fresh water collects at the shoulder dump location. I will open that dump valve and let the water drain, then fill with air and dump a couple more times until nothing comes out.

I then store it, inflated and upright, on a hanger in an indoor closet.

Almost exactly my process. When I no longer taste salt on my lips from the inflater mouthpiece, I give it one more rinse flush, dump the water, confirm fresh water on my lips from the mouthpiece, as I blow to refill. And then it's ready to hang, full of air.

On my wing, I can remove the dump valve.
Removing the valves or the inflator hose is one way to get the water out but it can cause more trouble than it's worth. I have many people bringing in BCs with missing valve o-rings/gaskets, stripped threads on valves, missing dump valves etc. If you forget to replace the dump valve and leave it behind, the BC is useless.

I worked at one shop (large chain) where an employee decided to remove the dump valves on all the rental BCs during cleaning ... then another employee started renting those BCs :banghead:

Trying to get more air out of my BCD near the end of the dive. If I am a little heavy every time I bump the deflator the air rushes out. If I am a little light I am twisting and turning with the deflator open trying to get the last bubbles to exit. Same thing happens with a drysuit dump valve.
Yep.

I finally decided that diving a few (but only a few) pounds heavier than ideal on a recreational dive has its advantages.

Yep.

I finally decided that diving a few (but only a few) pounds heavier than ideal on a recreational dive has its advantages.
I hate being TOO heavy. But not as much as I hate being too light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom