BCD question - potential hazards with buying old stock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BalekFekete

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are in the process of gearing up after getting our OW certification last year. I'm hoping to get some feedback here on what potential issues could be hidden in the potential purchase of a new, never wet BCD, but that is coming out of old stock. I've found what seems like a good deal, however, the BCD was manufactured in 2005. While it hasn't ever been used, there isn't a way to determine how it was stored either before the store acquired it, or after.

I am getting the name of the shop so I can verify they are an authorized reseller for warranty purposes already. I'm curious what other kind of potential issues could there be, and more importantly wouldn't be easily remedied by a service at my LDS?

Thanks in advance for the insight!

I've bought gear for 5 divers over the years, almost all of it used on Ebay including several BCDs. My girlfriend has the same BCD as the one in your listing, except it's got the integrated Air2 regulator which saves a hose.She never had issues with it, and I purchased it "almost new".

What are you looking for in a BCD: You want to make sure there's no significant wear or damage, you want to be sure it holds air for several hours, and you want the deflator mechanism and dump vents to work properly.

You can check all of this yourself if you have access to a tank of gas and a regulator, even better would be to bring it to a tech to have it looked over but to be honest I've never done that after purchasing items if the pass all of my tests. The listing says it's returnable if not as described so you've got nothing to lose. An unused BCD is unlikely to have any problems.

You mentioned something about a warranty? I doubt there'd be any coverage on that BCD given the year of production.

.... for warranty purposes already. ...
13 years ago is a long time to expect warranty support since it would be a multiple finger pointing game probably. That's why people who buy 'new' tanks with 'stale' hydro dates understand that's why the price is so cheap.

I don’t know the Scubapro line, but for a 14 year old item it would not be uncommon to find little support beyond a basic service kit for the inflator. While it might never be an issue, any other parts could be hit or miss. Most likely concern would be how easily could you replace a lost weight pocket, assuming design is no longer current. But if the price is right...

I got certified in 1985 and dove regularly for five years then switched to climbing and my gear sat in the closet for 27 years until I got interested in diving again.
I replaced my aluminum 80s with steel 100s, overhauled my Dacor 950 and jumped in the water. My Sherwood BCD I overhauled carefully to be sure it was good to dive and found no problems.
I guess my point is that I find dive gear to have an amazing shelf life if properly stored. The truth is I will be retiring the Sherwood BCD this season in favor of a new backplate / wing but only because I am too self concious to show up on the beach in that 80s relic with the yellow, orange, and red stripes.
If the gear you're looking at was stored properly it's probably a good deal.

My experience with BCDs is the big failure over time, if there are no other issues like a puncture to the bladder, is the inflator flange/bladder sonic weld interface tends to give up the ghost causing a leak.

My preference would be to inflate/submerge/inspect to ensure there are no leaks at the flange junction prior to purchasing, if that is not possible then make sure you can send the BCD back for a refund if it doesn't hold air.

Even though this is "New Old Stock", it is 13-14 years old...$236 is kind of steep for a BCD that old. If the price was sweeter I would chance it, but not at that price...for a little more you can get a brand new model such as the Aqua Lung Pearl: Aqualung Pearl | eBay

Check out Leisurepro.com....they have a whole slew of BCDs for under $300.

-Z

While $236 is a lot for some bcd's that's a SUPER good price for scubapro brand stuff. Scubapro has a nasty price fixing scheme going, but often allows legit dealers to sell old or discontinued stock at steep discounts.

Since it's that old, I'd be concerned about the bladder maybe having issues at some point. Is the seller a licensed scubapro dealer?

There's this whole "grey market" that scubapro in particular has going on. Something where stores in other countries buy an item. The price scubapro charged that store is much less than they might charge a store in the US. Then that store sells it online and ships it into the country you are in. It's legal, but scubapro doesn't like it. They don't honor warranties in that situation - even if the item is brand new and the latest/greatest thing they sell.

There is a way to determine if either of those will be a problem. Call Scubapro and ask if the seller is a legitimate dealer. 800-467-2822. If the seller is not legit, then all it means is that you won't get a warranty.

As with anything ebay, there is risk. It's a good price, if the bcd works. I wouldn't count on a warranty for a 15 year old bcd though.

If this was a BCD I wanted, I might buy it. That said, I don't think much of the scubapro branded bcd's. I do like scubapro regulators, but I think the bcd's leave a lot to be desired.

You might also look into Zeagle Zena BCD. That's why my wife went with. It was better designed to fit a woman's figure (in her opinion).

While $236 is a lot for some bcd's that's a SUPER good price for scubapro brand stuff.

Scubapro gear is generally overpriced. They make good regulators, but even with that product line they are overpriced compared to some other very good regulators on the market.

$236 for a 14yo BC that was overpriced to begin with is not really a "SUPER" good price. It is a crappy price for an old item that was overpriced to begin with.

Just sayin.

-Z

All dive gear is overprice. If you can get a good, new but older stock name brand BCD for around $200 then you're doing just fine. Obviously you can't test it before you buy it unless by chance the Ebay seller happens to live within a reasonable driving distance but the listing clearly states that it's returnable if not as described so there's no risk here.

Alec Peirce has a series on Youtube one of the videos is how to service the inflator dump valve, you oughta take a look at that one. Also that particular BCD can be vented by pulling on the inflator valve rather than holding the hose over your head which is a handy feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom