BCD options without inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riftvalley84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to buy a new BCD. For the past 10 years I have used a Mare Vector 1000 AT that does not use a hose for inflating & deflating but rather a button above the waist. Any suggestions for other models with the same feature?

why don't you want an inflator hose?

The only other option I'm aware of the Aqualung I3. Not to say others aren't out there, but that's the only one I know of. If you are trashing the Mares Vector, then make sure you remove that button thing because you may be able to install it on another jacket bc if it has a port in a convenient location

I think the Aqualung i3 is the only other choice. If you ask about it on scubaboard you will get a lot "you will die if you use it" comments from the usual sources of such dire predictions and a lot of solution to a non-existent problem comments from others, but from what I can tell, most people who have used them like them and I have been unable to find any evidence of them being problematic.

Mares still sells the AirTrim on a few models. The Aqualung I3 is the only competing product that I"m aware of also.

I have been unable to find any evidence of them being problematic.
PRODUCTS AFFECTED: Aqua Lung and Apeks Buoyancy Compensators

This bulletin is to serve as a reminder that buoyancy compensators, especially their inflators and dump valves, require annual service. This is stated in the BC Owner’s Manual, Service and Repair Manual and the Online Training course.

Just about all of the potentially serious problems that occur with BCs, such as inflators that stick open or dump valves that don’t open, are a result of lack of maintenance. Like regulators, BC inflators and some models of dump valves have wearable, replacement parts and the need for cleaning and lubrication.

We also want to use this bulletin to draw attention to the flat e-valves associated with BCs that have the i3 controller. These low profile valves contain an o-ring and a quad ring which require annual replacement and proper lubrication. Failure to do so could result in the valve not opening at the proper relief pressure. This is a potentially dangerous situation that could result in the rupturing of the BC bladder.

Flat e-valves subjected to chlorine use, such as found in BCs used for dive classes, should be serviced more than once a year.

Please note that servicing flat e-valves is a quick and easy process. Taking the time to service and lubricate these valves, as well as the i3 inflator, will ensure years of enjoyment with the i3 BCs.

I am not a big fan of the e valves but those are not limited to the i3, so I don't think they are particularly relevant to discussing the utility of the i3 system itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom