BCD inflator button stuck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

more than strange, dangerous as far as i am concerned. Am going to mention this to my instructor and see what his opinion is. I was shown all the dumps when being taught, straight from the start. as for you book, yes you must have an older version. Mines is colour and a new version.

SOUTH DEVON once bubbled...
in fact we did not even realize that the BCDs had a quick realise dump untill after about 10 dives with my buddy !!
You weren't curious about those funny little pull thingies dangling off the the BC? :rolleyes:

As to whether or not disconnect LPI drill was done in your class, my guess was that it really was done, but without much emphasis. My instructor just mentioned "this is what you do if the inflator button sticks" and then we did a disconnect and oral inflation on the next dive. He correctly assumed that I understood why it was a good idea to disconnect a stuck-on power inflator. Instructors need to tailor their lessons to the level of awareness of their students.

not in my book "padi open water dive manual p117", it is b&w
so maybe its an old one !!!!
but i have read it several times & dont recall it being mentioned !

Sounds like you were certified before PADI added this skill to the requirements. Many of us have been teaching this skill all along, but PADI didn't list it in the required skill until the late 90's (99 if I am not mistaken).

"when I mentioned this at a latter date he laughed & said yes we dont show beginners this !!!! STRANGE "

Yikes!

Charlie99 once bubbled...
You weren't curious about those funny little pull thingies dangling off the the BC? :rolleyes:

Never really noticed them, I had enough new toys to occupy my mind with, without looking for new ones !

As to whether or not disconnect LPI drill was done in your class, my guess was that it really was done, but without much emphasis. My instructor just mentioned "this is what you do if the inflator button sticks" and then we did a disconnect and oral inflation on the next dive. He correctly assumed that I understood why it was a good idea to disconnect a stuck-on power inflator. Instructors need to tailor their lessons to the level of awareness of their students.

Maybe but I was quite a keen student hungry for knowledge so I doubt I would have missed it !!!!!

o2scuba once bubbled...

Sounds like you were certified before PADI added this skill to the requirements. Many of us have been teaching this skill all along, but PADI didn't list it in the required skill until the late 90's (99 if I am not mistaken).

Certified 20 Jul 2003 , the instructor didn't have any colour books available so I had to make do with a black and white one ;-0

o2scuba once bubbled...

Certified 20 Jul 2003 , the instructor didn't have any colour books available so I had to make do with a black and white one ;-0

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, i see, using up old inventory. Or perhaps buying up old stock at a cheaper rate. Perhaps his/her instructor manual is outdated as well. :eek:

I say again..........Yikes!

I know it's not your job to act as the "PADI police", but you might want to let PADI know that the LPI skill was not taught (via email or a phone call). PADI would then contact the instructor. Chances are the instructor would be informed tactfully that they need to update their program, or face consequences such as suspention. You never know, you could make the difference in preventing a serious injury (or death), by innitiating these procedures.

From a fellow Brit, living in the USA.
:) :D :)

Andrew

o2scuba once bubbled...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, i see, using up old inventory. Or perhaps buying up old stock at a cheaper rate. Perhaps his/her instructor manual is outdated as well. :eek:

I say again..........Yikes!

I know it's not your job to act as the "PADI police", but you might want to let PADI know that the LPI skill was not taught (via email or a phone call). PADI would then contact the instructor. Chances are the instructor would be informed tactfully that they need to update their program, or face consequences such as suspention. You never know, you could make the difference in preventing a serious injury (or death), by innitiating these procedures.

From a fellow Brit, living in the USA.
:) :D :)

Yes I guess I ought to really, I don't want to drop the guy in it as he is a really nice bloke, but like you say it could save somebody's life, also we weren't taught how to do a direct assent i.e. letting air out of the BCD instead of in which also is dangerous (our ears were popping like mad on our first assent with my buddies, also painful as we shot up like rockets)
Still he was a nice bloke and cheaper than any of his rivals lol
:reaper:

o2scuba once bubbled...

It's a direct violation of standards to use the old books.

when i read the original post i asked myself, what would i have done ?....(as, to the best of my knowledge, was not shown a drill in case of such a scenario)......my first reaction was no biggie....you were in the water maybe 1 min, why not go with the flow(no pun intended)....and do an emergency ascent, breathing out at all times of course......(the dump valves would have popped as the gas expands, no crushed chest !) and on the surface try and fix the problem, and hopefully continue with the dive (and the fact u break the surface like a guided missile would make a cool story !!!!):wacko:

In my classes, I have had 3 failures of this sort over about a four year period...One of them being with my son's system...he actually reacted very well...disconnected the inflator quickly.

Since I use Aqualung equip all these failures have been with Aqaulung systems. I did call Aqualung about the problem...They stated that they are aware of the problem and have found it to be a regional thing...fine sand gets caught in a filter in the inflator...I'm not aware of a filter in an inflator.

Playing with my system, I have found that if you dump air from the BC, at worst case the dump rate exceeds the fill rate...I have started incorporating this exercise into my classes as an emergency proceedure.

Back
Top Bottom